Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cig with TRS drives, pros and cons (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/13946-cig-trs-drives-pros-cons.html)

Biggus 01-21-2002 07:45 PM

Cig with TRS drives, pros and cons

I have found a 38 Top Gun that I really like. It is very clean and seems to have had low use. The power is twin 540 ci. B+M 250 blowers duel 750 Holleys and Gil exhaust. I`m not sure of the HP. From the looks of things it seems like money was not an issue when it was assembled. It does have TRS drives. I do all of my boating on an inland lake. Do you folks with experience with these drives think this combo will be a nightmare?..

Kurt.

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Biggus Dikkus ]

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Biggus Dikkus ]

Audiofn 01-21-2002 07:51 PM

Did you get a job???? :p :p :p

Kiser has I think 700hp going to his and he said he has been happy with the jobs. He also says that Bravo's keep him in business for what it is worth. I like mine :D :D

thespy 01-21-2002 07:58 PM

My boat runs good with TRS, I have about 450 HP, was running great yesterday with a pair of new carbs I put on.

What year are you looking at ? There are two at Martin Marine, a 92 and a 93 with TRS.

01-21-2002 08:54 PM

althought they're somewaht dated drives and have transmissions, TRS Drives appear to hold up pretty well. From what I've been told - get used to them - because the thought of chaging to Bravo is a very expensive one. Boats with TRS drives took into consideration the placement of the engines and the trandmissions when balancing the boat fore/aft. If the price is right and you like what you see - go for it. You might also ask around a little and find out where the mechanical work was done to determine if there are things the current owner may not be telling you....

best of luck - jeff

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: JeffreyBoy ]

Goodfella 01-21-2002 09:06 PM

Here we go again Audiofn! Didn't we just go through this with AC and his 28 Cigarette!
Big Dik should have the boat,engines,transmissions,sterndrives surveyed.If the engines make more than 600 HP and it is running 4 blade propellers on that HEAVY OLD 38 he is gonna have drive issues.Buy the boat, detune the engines to 600 HP and run 3 blade propellers (Mirage Plus) and he will be o/k.Just remember parts for the TRS are becoming no longer available from Mercuiser. :(

Audiofn 01-21-2002 11:00 PM

Hey Goodfella we will just have to agree to disagree on this one, of course I have never been wrong so there is a first for anything, but not this time :D :D :p :p

kwb 01-21-2002 11:27 PM

I think if I were buying a used Top Gun, I'd rather have the TRS drives than bravo's. The reason being that Bravos are not a good drive for that heavy of a boat and with the TRS drive you are allready rigged for a used pair of #5's in the future.

Spare parts for the TRS might be a concern in the short term.

Just my opinion... :D

NICKSLICK 01-22-2002 01:33 AM

There great drives, just be sure all the bolts are tight!

I have two on my boat... and they are SOLID.

Goodfella 01-22-2002 07:51 AM

Audiofn,
Are you coming down for the Miami Boat Show?
If so we have to have a sit down with some liquid refreshment and put this topic to rest once for all LOL!!! :D :D I will even leave you a guest pass at the door!

Audiofn 01-22-2002 07:56 AM

Goodfella I really apreciate the offer, unfortunatly since I have been sick for the last few I have TONS of work to catch up on. We will get there some time. Actually I would like to talk over the phone some time with you. :D :D

Jon