Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sign of the times - A rant (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/139574-sign-times-rant.html)

cuda 09-04-2006 03:41 PM

Re: Sign of the times - A rant

If I see someone with a hatch up, I always slow to see if they need assistance. Most of the time they will give the ok sign. I've towed and been towed numerous occasions.

dean51267 09-04-2006 03:53 PM

last time I was stopped i nhte middle of the lake with my hatch up many powerboats cruised by, but three fishermen and one rented 20' sea ray stopped to see how things were going.... we were okay, only lost one motor, was sitting discusted and having a beer before heading back in on one motor....

There are lots of people who talk the talk and are the friendliest in the world, as long as it is convenient, very few actually walk the walk....... :(

TEAMBAJA 09-04-2006 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by masher44
My engine builder gave me extra flares and an oar with my new motor.... heckuva nice guy :evilb:

The flares are for shooting at Sails or at fishermen who dont stop to help!

Craney 09-04-2006 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by masher44
My engine builder gave me extra flares and an oar with my new motor.... heckuva nice guy :evilb:

I see your engine builder stands behind his work. :evilb: :evilb:

Pantera1 09-04-2006 06:49 PM

Yes its a sign of the times ..

asg 09-04-2006 07:07 PM

Its the same here in South Florida. I remember when people used to wave when you went by. Some still do,.... if there are girls on the boat. At least we have enough Boat US and Sea Tow boats around, if you don't mind waiting a few hours for them to show up.

Even if you don't want to tow someone in, you could at least stop to see if they are OK and need anything, especially if the hatch is open with smoke coming out.....

tee4texas 09-04-2006 07:10 PM

although there are always exceptions, here is my generalization

sailboat - cant stop
fast boat - wont stop
family boat - unsure about stopping
ski boat - might stop
fisherman - always stops

Racegirl3 09-04-2006 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by tee4texas

fast boat - wont stop

See posts 1, 2, 4, 5 and 11 of this thread to see how wrong your generalization is..... and thats just so far .....

tee4texas 09-04-2006 07:26 PM

lol - well yes but I wouldnt expect any less with this group.

my post was a bit "tongue in cheek"..........should have used the sarcasm font

How about I add one more.........

racegirls - wish they would stop :rolleyes:

louietherigger 09-04-2006 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by tee4texas

sailboat - cant stop
fast boat - wont stop
family boat - unsure about stopping
ski boat - might stop
fisherman - always stops

The fishermen here throw sinkers at the boats that pass to close while there anchored in the middle of the channel, must be special fishermen by your area. I fish, I race, I cruise and I jetski and I stop for a boat in distress. Thank you to all my associates who do the same, we are the real american heroes ( bud theme song playing in the backround) :D