Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sign of the times - A rant (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/139574-sign-times-rant.html)

tee4texas 09-04-2006 07:31 PM

Re: Sign of the times - A rant

The fishermen here throw sinkers at the boats that pass to close while there anchored in the middle of the channel, must be special fishermen by your area.
lol - yeah, LI fisherman can afford it.......Texas fisherman can't - In texas, they're just hoping you will offer a beer.

I fish, I race, I cruise and I jetski and I stop for a boat in distress. Thank you to all my associates who do the same, we are the real american heroes ( bud theme song playing in the backround)
amen brudder

Indy 09-04-2006 07:34 PM

I wave to most everybody and most wave back (sailboats included). I'm just so frickin happy to be on the water I'd probably wave to Saddam (one finger wave though) LOL!! Most people at the ramp this year have been good too, although there was a royal d!ckhead there today, he was the exception this year. I do understand your dismay and hopefully it was just an abberation, however, your experience is in part why I subscribed to Sea Tow. I've towed people in before at the expense of my day on the water and never have taken money when offered, I just ask that they do the same if they're given the chance.

cuda 09-04-2006 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Indy
I've towed people in before at the expense of my day on the water and never have taken money when offered, I just ask that they do the same if they're given the chance.

That's what I tell people I tow also, "Don't break the chain". :)

Racegirl3 09-04-2006 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by tee4texas
How about I add one more.........

racegirls - wish they would stop :rolleyes:

Now see .. there ya go generalizing again ... and still gettin it wrong .... I have a ride before I ever get there :p

Comanche3Six 09-04-2006 08:02 PM

Welcome to NJ

Racegirl3 09-04-2006 08:04 PM

and on the waving thing .... one of the guys along for the ride this weekend has a cruiser but this was his first ride on the top gun. He commented to me that he felt like a celebrity, he'd never waved at so many people before :drink:

I wave at most everybody on the water .. some wave back, some dont ..... kill them with kindness :bunny:

tee4texas 09-04-2006 08:09 PM

I wave at most everybody on the water .. some wave back, some dont ..... kill them with kindness
I agree with that........and I believe waving to be somewhat regional. On most texas waters, its common when you overtake, get overtaken or pass by...........even on our roads you get a lot of this.

Other states or even specific locales I see a lack of it...........not necessarily a problem but interesting (well, to me maybe)

bowtie 09-04-2006 08:09 PM

I still see a lot of waving going on but not as many boaters will stop to see if help is needed. Still I believe if your broken down chances are someone will offer help. I will always offer help, but I also ride a motorcycle and always stop for a biker with problems. It's just what I've always done. Otherwise on the water we're all at the mercy of Sea Tow or Boat US.

rainmn 09-04-2006 08:27 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting to see that a lot of people have seen the same changes.
A couple points of clarification, for the record:
I wave to everyone. Maybe people think I'm an idiot, but that's ok with me. :D
I didn't need, and wouldn't have accepted a tow. As soon as I knew we weren't in any danger, I called an uncle who's boat is docked no more than 15 minutes from where we were. He was there quicker than Sea Tow or TowBoat ever would have been.
As for the "Welcome to NJ", normally I would agree with that, but I've lived here my whole life. It wasn't always like this on the water. (Yes, it's always been like this on land though...at least in North Jersey where I grew up.)
Glad to see that at least the people on this board stop to check on fellow boaters, but that comes as no surprise.

Indy 09-04-2006 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Indy
I've towed people in before at the expense of my day on the water and never have taken money when offered, I just ask that they do the same if they're given the chance.

I need to amend this. I towed some VERY rough looking dudes from Long Island when their Cig broke down, they got pretty pissed that I didn't take some money and thought they were going lay a major whuppin on me...I still didn't take it but got the hell out of dodge real quick LOL!! :eek: Might have to consider taking it next time :D