Notices

Sign of the times - A rant

Old 09-04-2006, 08:35 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sign of the times - A rant

Originally Posted by masher44
My engine builder gave me extra flares and an oar with my new motor.... heckuva nice guy

ROFL

That is freakin priceless
Old 09-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have given you a tow.

It wouldn't be the first and definitely not the last.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tee4texas
although there are always exceptions, here is my generalization

sailboat - cant stop
fast boat - wont stop
family boat - unsure about stopping
ski boat - might stop
fisherman - always stops
Dude, you are soooo off and soooooooo biased, it's completely ridiculous.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Registered

I was up there earlier that day I would have stopped and always will. And Tee4texas If you want to continue to display your dislike for performance boats at least get off your trial membership and pay the 35 bucks.Your comments on previous thread about the tragic accident were totally inappropriate
Old 09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn
Not sure how to start this, or if anyone will care, but it will make me feel better to type it. I guess a little background is on order. I'm 36 years old, and have been out on Barnegat Bay here in NJ on most weekends of my life. Over that time, I cannot count how many times I've stopped to see if someone was alright if I saw them with an engine hatch open. I've towed in more people than I count as well, and never took a dime from anyone. Same goes for my Dad.
Fast forward to yesterday - picture perfect day, tons of boats on the bay. I'm out on with my Dad, my wife, and 2 of my friends on my Dad's boat. (Not a performance boat, just a little 23' Larson...not that it has anything to do with my rant.) On our way back from a well known waterfront bar / restaraunt, my wife smells something burning. Just as I slow to idle to check it out, smoke starts pouring out of the gunwhale compartments.
I shut it down, kill the batteries, grab the extinguisher, and open the engine cover. By this time, a lot of smoke is in the air. I sprayed the engine down to be safe, even though I saw no flames. As it turns out, it looks like the starboard side exhaust overheated and the smoke was from burning paint and a wire or two that lost some insulation. All in all, could have been a lot worse.
Heres where the rant comes in. This happened literally 20 feet outside the ICW channel, on LABOR DAY WEEKEND. While it was going on, at least 3 or 4 dozen boats passed by. (A good number of performance boats in that number, BTW) Not ONE single boat stopped to ask if we were ok. Granted, I wasn't flagging anyone down, but that shouldn't make a difference. You see smoke and an open hatch, and you don't check it out? Hell, one or two might be even be here on this site.....a 38 Fastech came by slow enough for the guy to give me a dirty look, like I was an idiot anchored in his way in the channel. Guess he figured I set fire to my motor to keep greenheads away. Another genius in a big sportfish only slowed down to "Biggest wake possible speed", looked right at me (With a fu$%ing fire extinguisher in my hand) and didn't even wave as he throttled back up.
I don't know what happened to boating over the years, but something has definitely changed. I started noticing that fewer and fewer people wave, and more and more seem to be idiots. As we got to the restaraunt we went to before this happened, I was idling in a circle waiting for a guy to leave the mooring ball he was tied up to. Just as he did, some douchebag came in and went to go and take it. Guess he figured I just wanted to idle around the moorings for a while.
I used to think boaters were, in general, the best group of people there are. After a day like yesterday, I'm not so sure anymore. Hope I'm wrong.
did this happen in jersey waters? lol i feel ya dude, i always check on people that look to be broken down on the water. in your case the fire extinguiser would have been a clue that you were having problems, maybe the folks you boat around aren't smart enough to figure out that you didn't have a big red bong in your hand
Old 09-04-2006, 09:24 PM
gcoffshore.com
Platinum Member

i always stop to help people and always wave but your right times are changing
Old 09-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
I was up there earlier that day I would have stopped and always will.
I'm sure you would have, since I know for a fact you wave. Earlier that day, you came down the lagoon my parents live on in Forked River, and waved to my kids on the dock. I was in the house, but went to a window to look when I heard your boat going by. (Nice boat, BTW)
Old 09-04-2006, 09:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Not sure how to start this, or if anyone will care, but it will make me feel better to type it. I guess a little background is on order. I'm 36 years old, and have been out on Barnegat Bay here in NJ on most weekends of my life. Over that time, I cannot count how many times I've stopped to see if someone was alright if I saw them with an engine hatch open. I've towed in more people than I count as well, and never took a dime from anyone. Same goes for my Dad.
Fast forward to yesterday - picture perfect day, tons of boats on the bay. I'm out on with my Dad, my wife, and 2 of my friends on my Dad's boat. (Not a performance boat, just a little 23' Larson...not that it has anything to do with my rant.) On our way back from a well known waterfront bar / restaraunt, my wife smells something burning. Just as I slow to idle to check it out, smoke starts pouring out of the gunwhale compartments.
I shut it down, kill the batteries, grab the extinguisher, and open the engine cover. By this time, a lot of smoke is in the air. I sprayed the engine down to be safe, even though I saw no flames. As it turns out, it looks like the starboard side exhaust overheated and the smoke was from burning paint and a wire or two that lost some insulation. All in all, could have been a lot worse.
Heres where the rant comes in. This happened literally 20 feet outside the ICW channel, on LABOR DAY WEEKEND. While it was going on, at least 3 or 4 dozen boats passed by. (A good number of performance boats in that number, BTW) Not ONE single boat stopped to ask if we were ok. Granted, I wasn't flagging anyone down, but that shouldn't make a difference. You see smoke and an open hatch, and you don't check it out? Hell, one or two might be even be here on this site.....a 38 Fastech came by slow enough for the guy to give me a dirty look, like I was an idiot anchored in his way in the channel. Guess he figured I set fire to my motor to keep greenheads away. Another genius in a big sportfish only slowed down to "Biggest wake possible speed", looked right at me (With a fu$%ing fire extinguisher in my hand) and didn't even wave as he throttled back up.
I don't know what happened to boating over the years, but something has definitely changed. I started noticing that fewer and fewer people wave, and more and more seem to be idiots. As we got to the restaraunt we went to before this happened, I was idling in a circle waiting for a guy to leave the mooring ball he was tied up to. Just as he did, some douchebag came in and went to go and take it. Guess he figured I just wanted to idle around the moorings for a while.
I used to think boaters were, in general, the best group of people there are. After a day like yesterday, I'm not so sure anymore. Hope I'm wrong.
That sounds like a bad day. When we are cruising we wave at everyone when we go by, hot-rodders, fisherman, even the blow-boaters, there is no reason not be nice.

Rule of thumb treat people the way you want to be treated, if someone is in trouble stop and offer assistance, that is bullsh@t that no one even stopped to make sure you were safe. Sounds like the boaters you encountered were just being douche bags, they probably did not know any better.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting to see that a lot of people have seen the same changes.
A couple points of clarification, for the record:
I wave to everyone. Maybe people think I'm an idiot, but that's ok with me.
I didn't need, and wouldn't have accepted a tow. As soon as I knew we weren't in any danger, I called an uncle who's boat is docked no more than 15 minutes from where we were. He was there quicker than Sea Tow or TowBoat ever would have been.
As for the "Welcome to NJ", normally I would agree with that, but I've lived here my whole life. It wasn't always like this on the water. (Yes, it's always been like this on land though...at least in North Jersey where I grew up.)
Glad to see that at least the people on this board stop to check on fellow boaters, but that comes as no surprise.
I would encourage you to join NJPPC and see that there are friendly boaters on Barnegat Bay and the more events you do with us the more friends on the water you would make.

Sorry that you had a ****ty day.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a sad to think that people will not stop to render assistance.
People just don't want to get involved anymore. They're afraid of possible lawsuits or it will take precious time away from their activities.
Fortunately I'm not like that. If I see a boat sitting still or drifting I'll swing by and check them out. Especially if the engine hatch is open.

Coast Guard rules state that any vessel that hears a Mayday on the VHF, knows about a vessel in trouble, sees a vessel in trouble, must render assistance. If they are not capable of assistance then they must stand by till help arrives.

Quick Reply: Sign of the times - A rant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.