Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sign of the times - A rant (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/139574-sign-times-rant.html)

rainmn 09-04-2006 02:36 PM

Sign of the times - A rant

Not sure how to start this, or if anyone will care, but it will make me feel better to type it. I guess a little background is on order. I'm 36 years old, and have been out on Barnegat Bay here in NJ on most weekends of my life. Over that time, I cannot count how many times I've stopped to see if someone was alright if I saw them with an engine hatch open. I've towed in more people than I count as well, and never took a dime from anyone. Same goes for my Dad.
Fast forward to yesterday - picture perfect day, tons of boats on the bay. I'm out on with my Dad, my wife, and 2 of my friends on my Dad's boat. (Not a performance boat, just a little 23' Larson...not that it has anything to do with my rant.) On our way back from a well known waterfront bar / restaraunt, my wife smells something burning. Just as I slow to idle to check it out, smoke starts pouring out of the gunwhale compartments.
I shut it down, kill the batteries, grab the extinguisher, and open the engine cover. By this time, a lot of smoke is in the air. I sprayed the engine down to be safe, even though I saw no flames. As it turns out, it looks like the starboard side exhaust overheated and the smoke was from burning paint and a wire or two that lost some insulation. All in all, could have been a lot worse.
Heres where the rant comes in. This happened literally 20 feet outside the ICW channel, on LABOR DAY WEEKEND. While it was going on, at least 3 or 4 dozen boats passed by. (A good number of performance boats in that number, BTW) Not ONE single boat stopped to ask if we were ok. Granted, I wasn't flagging anyone down, but that shouldn't make a difference. You see smoke and an open hatch, and you don't check it out? Hell, one or two might be even be here on this site.....a 38 Fastech came by slow enough for the guy to give me a dirty look, like I was an idiot anchored in his way in the channel. Guess he figured I set fire to my motor to keep greenheads away. :rolleyes: Another genius in a big sportfish only slowed down to "Biggest wake possible speed", looked right at me (With a fu$%ing fire extinguisher in my hand) and didn't even wave as he throttled back up.
I don't know what happened to boating over the years, but something has definitely changed. I started noticing that fewer and fewer people wave, and more and more seem to be idiots. As we got to the restaraunt we went to before this happened, I was idling in a circle waiting for a guy to leave the mooring ball he was tied up to. Just as he did, some douchebag came in and went to go and take it. Guess he figured I just wanted to idle around the moorings for a while.
I used to think boaters were, in general, the best group of people there are. After a day like yesterday, I'm not so sure anymore. Hope I'm wrong.

offshoredrillin 09-04-2006 02:49 PM

Re: Sign of the times - A rant

yup, had 2 fiends with me one day on the Chesapeake bay, anyone that boats there knows there are lots of wake boarders and VERY small sail boat operators, was heading out into the bay and saw a guy flip over. I was a few hundred yards away, and came off of a balls out run to go over and check, one of the guys with me said F' him and go on, as I got closer the guy uprighted and waved to us and yelled thanks for checking..regardless of what others do, I did what I felt was right... then I told my buddy if I'm ever with him and he ignores someone, I'll never ride with him again...

cosmic12 09-04-2006 02:53 PM

sorry you had a bad day. I would have stopped, but I understand what you are saying. I have been inthe same spot myself. some people just don't care or want there day to be disturbed. I just scratch my head and and say what the F### :(

Poo 09-04-2006 02:56 PM

Not Here . My arm aches after a day out . :D
Maybe its the small town mystique. But if youre in a boat sitting ,with no poles out ,you are going to get a visit . I've never been stranded here .
Especially in the back country ,I can tell by the tide ,the size of the boat ,and the neglect to wave me down theyre in trouble ,(run aground usually ) .I just go over throw a rope and pull em out . two out of ten times I see them in town later on in the weekend .
I dont know the law up there but here in Key West ,if you see a boater in trouble and you do not assist ! :eek: If they take youre # THE COAST GAURD CAN AND WILL TRACK YOU DOWN . It's like Seinfeld's Good samaritan law .

Why would you pass up a boat in trouble ?

BY U BOY 09-04-2006 03:08 PM

I Grew Up Boating On Bayou Lacombe In La And Like You I Have Towed In More Than I Can Count And The Favor Has Been Returned. Since I Have Moved To Houston And Have Only Broke Down Once (blown Engine) It Was A Sunday Afternoon Lots Of Boats Went By With No Help. What Really Piised Me Off Was The Local Pd Went By In A Boat About 15 Feet Away Hatch Open And Smoking They Did Not Even Look Our Way As I Was Waving An Orange Flag. We Were Towed In By A Wave Runner

masher44 09-04-2006 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
one of the guys with me said F' him and go on, ............then I told my buddy if I'm ever with him and he ignores someone, I'll never ride with him again...

Old School? :evilb: :rolleyes:

masher44 09-04-2006 03:12 PM

My engine builder gave me extra flares and an oar with my new motor.... heckuva nice guy :evilb:

Steve_H 09-04-2006 03:19 PM

thats nothing. i tryed to wave down water patrol once with my hatch up on a weekday. him and i were the only boats in sight that day and the prick ignored me :mad:

Formula Outlaw 09-04-2006 03:26 PM

I always check on people if they look like there's any chance they might be having a problem.

But you're right, the times, they are a changin'.....for the worse.....:(

fountain1fan 09-04-2006 03:31 PM

people jest doin't care any more . i'm shure the favior will be returned one day.