Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Racer presumed dead in Jersey Skiff tragedy (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/139630-racer-presumed-dead-jersey-skiff-tragedy.html)

C_Spray 09-05-2006 08:18 AM

Racer presumed dead in Jersey Skiff tragedy

In another tragedy over the Labor Day weekend, one of the crewmen from a Jersey Speed Skiff is still missing after an accident at the start of a race in Port Deposit, MD on Sunday. I was there, but did not see the actual crash. Apparently, the boat stuffed after catching the wakes of other boats in front of it as they came down for the start. A father/son team, the son escaped, but the father went down with the boat, and has yet to be recovered. The bottom of the river is strewn with large boulders in that area, and locating the wreckage has proven to be very difficult for divers and sonar searchers.

While part of me understands that this was a family doing something together that they loved, another part of me mourns the loss.

Iggy 09-05-2006 08:37 AM

Re: Racer presumed dead in Jersey Skiff tragedy

A sad weekend.

Thoughts and prayers are with them all.

When I lived in Toms River,Jersey, I used to go watch the races they had every weekend. Those Jersey Speed Skiffs looked hard to control. Always on the verge of flipping/rolling. Especialy in the corners.

Ben@SRP 09-05-2006 08:50 AM

Very sad. I thought that Jersey Speed Skiffs had to have cages and be strapped in, did that change?

Panther 09-05-2006 08:57 AM

Very sad! :(

A friend needed to be revived on the scene and have reconstructive surgery on his face when his speed skiff stuffed and ripped the deck off in a race a number of years ago. Back then they had open face helmets. :eek:

The skiffs are wild to watch though! :cool:

Lucididee 09-05-2006 09:08 AM

So much tragedy this past weekend. :(

My prayers go out to the family.

BK 09-05-2006 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ben@SRP
Very sad. I thought that Jersey Speed Skiffs had to have cages and be strapped in, did that change?

Ben,

You're right - they are strapped in and protected by a cage. The boat stuffed and broke in half. The driver's 15 year old son got out ok, but his dad was unable to release his harness for some reason. From the news reports, that section of the boat (stern) went down in about 8 seconds. I don't know what kind of flotation is attached to these roll cages.

Many racers have been staying with the family in Port Deposit through all of this - and the Mayor even let them stay at his house and promised they'll find him.

Now friends and other racers are asking for donations of items to put together for a raffle for the family (three teens).

Go here to learn more:

www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com

There are tribute photos on the front page that bring it all so close to home. :( My thoughts and prayers to the Sohn family.

BK~

BK 09-05-2006 10:09 AM

From Jerseyspeedskiffs.com - they say they have just found him.

POSTED:
Hello everyone. Jimmie Stewart from Port Deposit.
At 10:50 am we brought home Paul Sohn.
Everyone needs to pray for the Sohn Family!

:( :(

R Addiction 09-05-2006 10:11 AM

We were with C_Spray at the races and did not witness the accident. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the friends and family. Very sad day....

C_Spray 09-05-2006 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by BK
...At 10:50 am we brought home Paul Sohn...

God bless the rescue teams, emergency workers, racers, townspeople of Port Deposit and all the others who supported the family and refused to give up. True friends and heroes. May the healing process begin.

R Addiction 09-05-2006 10:57 AM

Well said Chuck......