Bahamas was Awesome, I am Back to FL'

Notices

Bahamas was Awesome, I am Back to FL'

Old 01-21-2002, 09:48 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Post Bahamas was Awesome, I am Back to FL'

Just got in today, I am beat. Everything was what I expected to be. But I am tired, so I will give all a full update tomarrow. Need sleep. But 1 short word = Sweet Mr. Bravo III still alive with boat in one piece.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:52 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please give all the details. Sounds like a dream.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:59 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kurt, welcome back! glad to hear you and the boat AND motor are all back in one piece.

Will wait for the full update
Old 01-22-2002, 08:31 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kurt, glad you had a good trip
Old 01-22-2002, 09:01 AM
B38
Registered

Wow, what an experiance we had. Only got to go to south/north Bimini, wich was enough for my pocket book. $100.00 dollers just to get off my Boat for Customs, then 40.00 a night @ Blue waters Marina. water was 47 cents a Gl'.
Food was awesome and fair priced. Water was Krystle Clear with lots of weird fish I have never seen before. Like flying fish was cool.
these fish junp out of the water and fly about 40 miles per hour. they flew next to my Boat to and from Bimini. Doulfins everywhere, no sharks!!. went snorkeling around the islands on the sholes or riefes. got cool shells and trinkets. Engine decided to richen
up a bit on the way there, don't now why either. maybe the weight of the air and heat.
cause 2.5 miles from south Bimini, I ran out of Gas. I hade 10 Gls in cans for reserve, thank god for that. I received about 9/10 a mile to a Gl. ouch! 3 to 5 foot seas on the way there, and 1 to 2 on the way back to the states. cool run back though, jumping swells
that could swollow me up. But each time I would jump a swell, it was like landing on a pillow. Awesome feeling. On the way to Bimini, I could loose about 4 knots with current of the seas. this was weird, so I had to be a throttle man to keep speed up.
Now for the Islands, beutiful is the word.
Natives where very nice and helpfull, but all where poor. our money keeps them alive, not to many jobs there at all except for hotels
and resturant. all in all, still poor.
Marinas are clean and plentifull. Gas was $2.86 a Gl=ouch. and that was swamp gas 89 octane. C-planes cruising in all the time landing at the Marinas, now that was cool.
Oh yeah, I was the smallist Boat there, 40s, 50s footers was very commen. as usual, all of the Boaters where very helpfull in the normal routine for the Islands. But still, you are on your own there, so be prepared.
My dinghy was great for cruising around till the damn motor stripped the vertical shaft. then I paddled a lot. not good to paddle when you are as old as I. Yeah right. I caught some Flounder and groupers to eat, wow, how good. O/k, now amagine getting to Bimini, next day your Boat doesn't start, 3 dead Batteries. something weird happened with alternater. So I borrowed a charger and charged all three up over night before we left. this became my first crises for the return trip. but I made it no problem.
When back in the states we cruised around Ft L' and was in awe to see these monster ships everywhere. I was a mouse amoung these ships.
Upon removel of my Boat I noticed my nice props destroyed from the salt water, also my drive shower. this all looked like I sand blasted it all to a santin finish. nasty!.
I cryed. Had to washed down entire boat, all else handled it well. My trailer also shows
fatigue, even after I hosed it down each time. All in all, I would recomend Bimini to any one. 52 nautical miles from Ft L. should not be a problem for any boat longer than 25'
this was the best trip in my life. I don't think I could beat this one.
any Questions, I will be happy to answere.
Now I just got to get home and put this rig back in storage. wish me luck. Kurt still in Ft L' FL'. later on OSO Mr. Bravo III
Old 01-22-2002, 09:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Kurt,
That does sound very cool! I had a friend whose boat broke down over there a couple of years ago, and he ended up having the parts flown in from the US.
I will send you an e-mail soon asking some questions about your contacts/reservations. I have been contemplating doing a Bahama Trip by boat for a while. So, did you go across with any other boats? Congrats on the your successful "Vacation"!!
Dean
Old 01-22-2002, 11:15 AM
B38
Registered

Dean, I cruised there alone with my girl. I figured that i would fend for myself on this one. I built my repower, so I felt safe.
But Boat US Tow was everywhere in the states.
I worried of course, but a man must trust his equiptment or don't go accross. not a good time to die. when you don't see land, then you know you are on your own.
BUT, I did see alot of other boaters throughout my cruise there and back. VHF will help you indeed. Tow boats only go out 25 miles of the states, after that, it is anouther boater or Coast Guard.
Don't worry, be happy. Mr. Bravo III
Old 01-22-2002, 11:29 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Sounds like you had a great trip.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 01-22-2002, 11:47 AM
Registered

Sea Tow, which is like the boat/us towing service, will tow you from the Bahamas. they will also run fuel out to you or give a jump start. With the costs involved with this trip, the $95 for an annual membership is cheap insurance and money well spent. www.4seatow.com
My wife and I have talked about doing this trip. It would require trailering from MI, but the pictures I've seen from Bimini look awesome. There was a group from another board (boatered.com) that did this last year, and they had a blast. No offshore types, but fishing boats and small cruisers
Old 01-22-2002, 12:31 PM
Registered

glad to have you back.. Sounds like your trip was a success

Quick Reply: Bahamas was Awesome, I am Back to FL'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.