Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   THIS MADE MY ALREADY HURTING EYES JUST ABOUT POP OUT OF MY HEAD (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/13981-made-my-already-hurting-eyes-just-about-pop-out-my-head.html)

G-Force 01-23-2002 01:51 PM

Ken, I agree with you (to a degree). Yes they have to take every ad at it's face value..and I think they probably have a disclaimer of some type as well. But in the light of overwhelming evidence that an ad is a scam...someone should step up to the plate and do something.
Notice OSO had the guy modify his ad...I think that's all anybody could/should ask for.
I'd like the seller to go test drive that puppy in some 3-4' chop at 50mph...see what type of faith he has in his "repairs".

Cord 01-23-2002 02:06 PM

G-how on earth were you able to remember his posting of the scarab?

Boat Trader shouldn't make him pull the ad; just edit it. But they need to be responsible and make sure their advertisers are reptuable and truthful. Especially after they have been informed of a less than honerable advertiser. Take a look at E-bay if you want a idea of what a responsible, respectable site is. They won't think twice of closing a auction until the product can be validated.

I just want to say that it's perfectly acceptable for him to purchase my boat and to turn it around for a profit. I marketed it that way. But, I was also expecting the buyer to also make a profesional repair. If he had made a professional repair then I would of supported him in every way. But I take exception to a slap togther cosmetic patch job. I could have done that myself and recouped my loss. But I put myself above sloven work and I would never put another persons life at risk by doing such a crappy job.

G-Force 01-23-2002 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Cord:
<STRONG>G-how on earth were you able to remember his posting of the scarab?</STRONG>
His last name being Leighton stuck out in my memory -- God knows I can't remember my own home phone number, but I remember that. Go figure!
And I agree with you...if the repair was done professionally, and DISCLOSED, then all the more power to the guy. But I think we all know that that couldn't possibly hold true in this case.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: G-Force ]

Pure Energy 01-23-2002 02:24 PM

G-Force

I agree that in some cases they should do something. Wether it be in response to a complaint or through random post monitoring. It would also be in their best interest to do so to maintain a reputable forum for buying and selling. Maybe they should post on their site that all adds are subject to review to ensure accurate information and that misleading adds will be removed or request editing.