Notices

No more 496??!

Old 09-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: No more 496??!

Originally Posted by Raylar
WE remember when about two or three years ago there was talk back then about the end of the 496-8.1L engine. You have to remember that the marine engines that are available to marine engine builders like Mercury, Volvo, etc. come from GM Powertrain and they are marketed and provided based on demand. GM Powertrain provides many engines in sizes and configurations that are not even used in trucks and vehicles any more, like the 4.3 V6, the 350V-8, etc. The 496 -8.1 L is the industries only big block offering from Mercruiser, Volvo, Crusader, Pleasure Craft, Marine Power and Indmar. There is to much need for the brute torque and power needed for medium size cruisers and moderate sized performance boats. If you only knew how many 496's Mercruiser not Mercury Racing builds and ships each week you would be staggered by the quantity. There are already 6.0 and 6.2 liter LSI based small block motors that have been made available to the boat builders for over two years and none of the builders except for the ski boat set are grabbing these up and putting them in performance boats in any quantity. The 496 -8.1L motors will be available and used in large numbers for at least 5 more years minimum. We are not at all worried about this future and we'll just keep making 496's better for everyone who has or needs one. We are also in development on an all aluminum 7.0 liter L-92 V-8 variant motor that will be fresh water cooled, develop about 500HP with about 500 ft/bs of torque for those who want a 350lb. lighter and smaller motor for new twin installations, retro-fit on older small blocks and certain smaller single engine performance boat applications. It still won't replace the 600HP + and 650 ft/lbs of torque a well equipped 496 can provide. Remember our slogan" Where innovation fuels applications" Raylar spends a great deal of time trying to keep our heads out of the sand. Thanks for your concerns, just keep enjoying the 496, especially with Raylar "goodies", its not anybody's dead horse!

Regards,

Ray @ Raylar

Thanks for the comments, Ray. I think your 496 packages are really innovative. I kind of take exception to your statement about 6.2's only going in non-performance ski boats. Formula, Fountain, and a few others are putting twins in their smaller offshore V-hulls and I believe my 292 is classified as a performance boat. It's not a rocket (71 mph GPS), but not bad. Sounds like Crockett is working on something that may be a drop-in swap to the stock 6.2. Will your 7.0 liter under development be a potential drop-in or will there be issues with fit? I can understand the lower production volume preventing you from spending the development $$ to make performance adders to the existing 6.2 like you do for the 496, but I know I (and several others) would sure be interested...
Old 09-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phil0460
All merc specs are @ the prop we have seen 10 6.2l throw rods under normal use in the last 3 years. Hours ranged between 15-300. merc says we are the only ones having this issue has any one else seen or heard of this.
these are all different boats

I have not heard that before! Only good reports on reliability and economy. Mine have 50 hours on them and have not had one problem except for a cracked fuel line coming out of the Gen-III Cool Fuel module. That was scary. Fuel under 45 psig pressure spraying in the bilge while underway. Not good.

Did Mercury figure out the root cause of the problem? What kind of oil are you running? I'm changing mine about every 20 hours since they only hold 4.25 quarts which is not much in my opinion.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: No more 496??!

The 7.0 liter we are working on is a LS2 version based all aluminum engine and yes it will be a direct Bravo type drop in for all existing V-8 GM-Chevrolet based motors. I am glad to here a lot more of the boat manufactureres are using the new LS1 syle 6.0 liter motors and not the old small block style. The new LS architecture is definitly better and more efficient.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I was told last year that Volvo was working on a supercharged smallblock because theyu knew the 496 would be gone in a few years. There is suppose to be a larger big block coming out but it is going to be all aluminum and very expensive to make into a marine motor.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Volvo's history in the performance market is a bit spotty unfortunatley...
Attached Thumbnails No more 496??!-dpx600.jpg  
Old 09-09-2006, 06:57 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surely the trend will be towards diesel power for performance applications. I understand that the big 3 are also working on smaller displacement diesel v8s.

The torque charecteristics and fuel economy of diesels seem to be ideally suited to marine use.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by SOX
Is a 6.2L a 383ci?

If its merc it should be 377... Jamie
Old 09-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Scott B
Volvo's history in the performance market is a bit spotty unfortunatley...

Hey ya pic thief!! Ya like that pic.. I see it has the same name as the one I posted a few days ago in a DPX question thread & I also have it on my parts page...

I snag some pics too from time to time its just that they are all Boobie & funny pics... I see too many engines all day.. Dont sweat it though, I'm just teasin ya scott.... Jamie / Lakeside

Yes, Volvo's HP stuff like in that pic didnt last all that long because of merc's perf name & loyalty being so stong. To bad VP has no current plans to make an HP comeback.. Some of their stuff was really neat.... J

Last edited by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS; 09-09-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4mula, Most were under 50 hr. oil changes we use merc. 25-40. merc did not come up w/a root problem nor did they deny any warranty all were covered
Old 09-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DONZI33
Yes, Volvo's HP stuff like in that pic didnt last all that long because of merc's perf name & loyalty being so stong. To bad VP has no current plans to make an HP comeback.. Some of their stuff was really neat.... J
Exactly! That motor built by Innovation and the DPX drive had built in hydraulic steering and it was bulletproof! Merc has a stranglehold on the market so why throw money away to try and compete?

And my point was Volvo is working on a higher hp small block(400-450hp) to replace the 496 because they know it will be gone in a few years.

Quick Reply: No more 496??!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.