Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I hate negotiating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/139899-i-hate-negotiating.html)

Steve_H 09-09-2006 10:12 PM

Re: I hate negotiating

Originally Posted by RJ1340
Ever try a little honesty? "I like your boat, would you take $50K for it?".
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Why worry about pissing off someone who's asking too much for his boat? Its not personal, its about him wanting to get as much for his boat and you wanting to get as much boat as you can for as little as possible. That's how business is done. Would you be more insulted by someone making you an offer for your boat (or car or condo) or by someone walking away without making you an offer, just wishing you good luck?

Making an offer 50-60% less then the asking price IS personal and DOES piss people off and I guess ide just rather not do that. Just the way i am i guess. Sooner or later they will realize they are asking way to much and lower the asking price. I might contact them again at that point and make an offer that doesnt seam so "lowballish" in their eyes. I also prefer the transaction to be a positive one for both partys and maybe even make a friend in the process......

Steve H 09-09-2006 11:09 PM

To me shopping for a new boat is some of the most enjoyable parts of boating. I don't have a problem with lowballing an offer. Sometimes the first thing I ask is if they have turned down any offers. This will usually get it out in the open. If not then make a low offer. Then wait a month and see if they are a little more flexible on their price. I never ever pay book price. I do however have to pay at least a grand just to look at it, living in Washington State. Then several thousand shipping. Nothing is worse than a going to look at a boat that was grossly misrepresented. Has happened more than once. Some people or so dishonest I just don't understand how they can sleep at night.

sleek1 09-10-2006 12:36 AM

Steve I gotta tell you, I feel the same way you do. But, last week I changed my tactics and made an offer on a condo in Vail, CO. I was worried it may be insulting to the owner but with a little nudging from my girlfriend I offered the guy about 15% less than asking price. The guy accepted... I couldn't believe it. Just confirmed what I always new but didn't have the sack to do in the past. No harm in throwing out an offer. As far as making friends goes, it's more likely you'll never see the seller again.

Pantera1 09-10-2006 08:55 AM

I just cant understand why people struggle with the negotiation part.. Worst is the seller who is personaly insulted by a low offer , like you were making an offer on his wife or something... Everyone wants a deal buyer and seller ..It doesnt hurt to try , then you know where you stand.

Comanche3Six 09-10-2006 09:05 AM

I've had people offer me what I considered lowball. I never take it as insulting. People that get angry when negotiating price don't impress me one way or the other.

Too Old 09-10-2006 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Steve_H
60k for the tiger? :p

Let me sleep on it........ :eek: :D

ratman 09-10-2006 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cloke

10,000 plus posts have boats that were built in the 80's.
They should go get a new boat or a life.
I appreciate your ability to spell also.Keep em coming!!

good point, cloke! i was just thinking i should cut the 1977 michelob light boat up for scrap. then sell the gound up fiberglass to a french canadian to insulate his outhouse. you are hereby invited to felate my boiy. fat boy just went overseas...too bad it should probably have been scrapped also cuz its such an old pos. huh
btw hope you luv my spelling einstien. might want to chack out the horba website for other trashy old boats that should be scrapped out!

ratman 09-10-2006 09:58 AM

a buddy of mine just bought a boat, he was offering half of everyones asking price 8 guys told him to piss off before one said " i'll take it"

Jupiter Sunsation 09-10-2006 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ratman
good point, cloke! i was just thinking i should cut the 1977 michelob light boat up for scrap. then sell the gound up fiberglass to a french canadian to insulate his outhouse. you are hereby invited to felate my boiy. fat boy just went overseas...too bad it should probably have been scrapped also cuz its such an old pos. huh
btw hope you luv my spelling einstien. might want to chack out the horba website for other trashy old boats that should be scrapped out!

I think he was referring to old junk, not classics! :D

Actually, what happens to old boats that are ready for the boneyard? Everyone knows that cars get crushed but what about a 35 year old cruiser that is not worth putting back together? Marinas are full of these things or in some cases back yards are full of these boats.

I know some people hold on to the hope it can be fixed/ restored but once reality sets in how do you dump it?
I know of a guy who has paid monthly storage for 15 years at $60 month for a 70's Vega that he was going to turn into a street rod. Not only is the car a total rust bucket, the glass is smoked with white haze and the trailer it is sitting on is frozen in place by rust and four flats! But he pays the storage fee every month on time!

t500hps 09-10-2006 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I think he was referring to old junk, not classics! :D

Actually, what happens to old boats that are ready for the boneyard? Everyone knows that cars get crushed but what about a 35 year old cruiser that is not worth putting back together? Marinas are full of these things or in some cases back yards are full of these boats.

I know some people hold on to the hope it can be fixed/ restored but once reality sets in how do you dump it?
I know of a guy who has paid monthly storage for 15 years at $60 month for a 70's Vega that he was going to turn into a street rod. Not only is the car a total rust bucket, the glass is smoked with white haze and the trailer it is sitting on is frozen in place by rust and four flats! But he pays the storage fee every month on time!

Stop paying storage fees and tell the owner he can keep it for back "rent".....