If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Trim Tabs size?

My Boats:
    '88 Banana
    Fitchburg, MA

Trim Tabs size?

Is there such a thing as too much trim tab? As in what would be too big for my 24' Banana or any other similar 24' boat?

My Boats:
    1988 banana - Sold, 1993 banana - Sold, 1979 banana - Building, 1978 banana - Building, 1972 Cigarette 20 - Sold, 1997 Scarab Sprint - Sold, 1985 Jaguar Stepped Cat, Gaff-Rigged Schooner
    Portsmouth, NH
    Hey Fruitta,

Most Banana Boats came from the factory with 280 K-planes. The only exception was the single engine boats such as yours and mine that had none as they weren't really needed because of the slower speeds.

I always said that with my 200hp merc hanging on the transom all I needed was a tab on the left side. Reason being is with the prop spinning clockwise, the bow would hit a bit harder when taking a wave to port.

If your running single engine, then I can say for sure that any type of tab will work.

The exception is if your running set back or a surface running prop.

Last year I ran 18" of hydraulic setback and a 20" shaft with approx 350hp running on the surface. Lots and Lots of torque and I had not installed any tabs yet.....

As for the longer tabs? If your running on the transom, then the 380 tabs are a waist of money, unless you are going to run them flat (meaning parrallel to the water, not the shape of the hull), then it is a great idea.

If your using any set back greater than 5-6 inches, then 280s are more than enough.

If your going to hang on the transom single engine, then save a bunch of money and throw some bennetts on the back.

Hope I helped...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Boats:
    '88 Banana
    Fitchburg, MA

Re: Trim Tabs size?

Thanks Airdog, I do plan on running with a bracket. I want to do away with the well and close in the transom. Any idea what the dimensions are on the 280's?