Notices

Electrical/starter woes?

Old 09-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical/starter woes?

We trailered the boat across state for long weekend getaway and the have electrical or starter issues. Arrived and it started it up and drove off trailer and into slip, ran perfect. Tied it up in a slip and let a afternoon rain shower past ~2 hrs. Went down, started it up and ran fine for about 30 seconds, was starting to untie dock lines and missed terribly, almost knocked like it dieseled and stalled. Would not crank, not even think about it. Checked voltage at starter and it was OK, terminals were suspect so cleaned the large battery feed. I then got scared it hydro-locked, but I can turn it using alternator, it has crank mounted sea water pump so no real good way to turn motor by hand. So I think the knock/stall was as it ran out of voltage to the coil and ignition was quitting? Is that possible? I have checked/cleaned every connection I can think of and still nothing. I have good 12V at the starter battery feed and if I jump 12V to the solenoid side still nothing....acts like a bad starter. No click, no hum nothing. But boat stalled..... Downside is outside starter bolt is WAY frozen. Previous owner didn't do great job with taking care of boat and has been salt water most of it's life. I have been soaking it with penetration oil and even heated it slightly with LP torch but not sure hot hot i can go so didn't really kill it.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: Electrical/starter woes?

have you tapped on the starter w/a hammer
Old 09-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be two problems. Both maybe caused be moisture. Distributor cap or wires wet = misfire and crossfire. Solenoid shot, or maybe starter shorted or brushes seized. Did you have power to the solenoid?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:58 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When you say starter voltage was o.k. Was this when key was in start posisition? Starter does not care what voltage is until you try to start it. Put volt meter to big starter post and to starter ground. It should be 10 volts or better under load (while engine is cranking). If it is good then check voltage to s term on starter. should be hot when in start position. Have you tried jump starting it? or a known good battery like out of your truck?

could be simple, but maybe not
Old 09-11-2006, 05:56 AM
Registered

I have 12 V to the starter battery lead , if I turn on as many electrical loads as possible it drops to 11.8. (boat has decent size stereo so I can load it with accessories). I have 11.8 V on the "S" terminal with key to start position. I have tried tapping the starter. I also tried a hand held "jump box" while boat was in the water at marina last weekend and boat has 2 batteries, so I am pretty not the battery. I almost out of options and would really like to test or replace starter...now the starboard frozen bolt is my next goal......how hot can I heat the block around the bolt with LP torch? I am sure I can cut the head off (buried down by stringer). As you can tell, I am trying really hard not to have to pull motor.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:12 AM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

You are on the right track with the starter as your problem. As far as the seized bolt, that could be a problem. The steel bolt is seized in the alum starter housing. Even if you cut the bolt head, it still might not come out. A lot of heat applired to the starter itself is your only hope. A bottle torch might not be enough.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Registered

I soaked it this am. before work and tonight tried again..same deal..will not bulge. I am scared to heat it too much.......how hot is too hot is the 2 million dollar question. I have a Mapp Gas torch and although it is ac/ox torch it is quite a bit hotter than LP. It is getting nerve to heat the crap out of it..........any thoughts from those who might have heated that area before? Surely I can't be the 1st guy with a rusted starter bolt.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

It's not tthe starter you have to worry about. Just don't catch anything on fire!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Registered

I know, I got both garage fire extinguishers out......I didn't heat it tonight, just soaked it. Had friends from outta town come by for diner and once I am a bilge rat I am in there for a while so stayed out. Plus I figured extra soak time might help. So you think I can heat it up good? Some of the paint was flaking off and burning but that is not what worries me, it is the oil/gas/fiberglass.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Banned

Can you get an impact wrench on it. Don't set it high enough to round the head off, but with PB Blaster, and the jarring of the impact wrench, you may get it off.

Quick Reply: Electrical/starter woes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.