Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/140273-pros-cons-new-model-outboards-compared-inboards.html)

29scarab 09-12-2006 11:35 AM

Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.

If you have had enough with standing on your head to change a starter or being a contorsionist to work on your engine. Changing a fly wheel out ect....

Would you change to a NEW model outboard? They have obviously come a long way with them as far as technology.

After what I'm going through with getting my boat running, I was thinking about the next boat being a couple of twin outboards. The question would be:

1. Cost of repairs compared to inboards.
2. Maintenance
3. Fuel consumption comparison.
4. Insurance
5. Parts cost.

I was looking for some feed back. LORD knows I like the rumble of a big block!! But,, its starting to be a pain in the ARSE with working it on it. I know now why the marine mechanics charge so much these days. They spent a a couple of weeks in gymnastics class!!! :D

Any feed back would appreciated!!! :D

rainmn 09-12-2006 12:27 PM

Re: Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.

My next boat will absolutely be eggbeater-powered. Something along the lines of a Concept or Renegade.

tommymonza 09-12-2006 12:30 PM

My dad runs a 225 Yamaha 4 stroke on his fishing boat,has 1600 hours on it and has never missed a beat,quiet and only burns 7 gallons an hour at cruise ,13 wideopen never has had a wrench on it.

Sheriff here has acouple with 5000 hours on them and still going.

I think the labor on an outboard would be less because everything is so accessible and its not all corroded from sitting in a salty bilge.Under the hoods of my dads 4 year old never rinsed or corrosion sprayed Yamahas look like new.

Plus you don't have all the issues like exhaust manifolds and risers and wet starters and etc etc..

X-Rated30 09-12-2006 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 29scarab
The question would be:

-- Labor is cheaper and easier to find. Can change a powerhead with help from a friend in 3 or 4 hours. Try that with a big block.
2. Maintenance
-- Less than inboards and newer O/B's are probably even better. No oil changes and winterization is practically non-existent.
3. Fuel consumption comparison.
-- Same or better. Will depend alot on the boat.
4. Insurance
-- No change that I have noticed.
5. Parts cost.
-- Parts are MUCH cheaper.

Help any? (Keep in mind, answers apply to performance boats. No idea about fishing or wakeboarding. :cool: )

TUFFboat 09-12-2006 02:28 PM

They can be very similar, the Merc 525 weighs about the same as twin Merc 250xs outboards with about the same power. Both run pump gas and similar fuel consumption. And very user friendly.
Depends were you go, some people like the look of twins with the techno look of the hydraulic steering and all that hardware exposed. Others like the clean line of the big block.
Then there is ride, one has that low drown that makes "you da man". The outboard has a unique harmonic when running. The outboard is more spunky, I can do wheelies with my stuff. But in difficult water the lower and forward balance make the I/O easier.
All the stuff is really good today, can't go wrong either way.

dkwestern 09-12-2006 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=X-Rated30]
-- Labor is cheaper and easier to find. Can change a powerhead with help from a friend in 3 or 4 hours. Try that with a big block.

I've seen powerheads changed in 20 minutes in the pits at Formula 1 races :cool: I have changed with little experience in 1-2 hours!!

Reed Jensen 09-12-2006 03:18 PM

I just got back from Lake Powell a few days ago. We boated around for two days with a 225hp Mercury 2 stroke outboard on a 20 foot boat. Heee heee heeee... we only burned 18 gallons in two days of boating. Talk about cheap. Of course it wasn't non stop boating.... but enough to impress us with the economy of the thing.

Johno 09-12-2006 07:28 PM

We went to the"Darkside" 18months ago, Merc 250 Efi's. The boat is a Renegade setup to run not fish. Fuel consumption is no worse than an IO. I love the ease of maintenance, nobody has to climb all over your interior of your boat to service. 100 hour service $250 for oil in lowers, water separator & fuel filter. Nothing else to service. I run the Smartcraft system & would find it hard to go back to IO boat again. You can also trim the motor up real high when you get into shallow water, added bonus in Fl. I love the sound of a BB, however it is nice to enter a Marina or residential area without pissing everyone off.

rush 09-12-2006 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1. Cost of repairs compared to inboards. Havent had any yet.
2. Maintenance changed lower gear oil.
3. Fuel consumption comparison. a little better with the ob
4. Insurance cheeper w ob
5. Parts cost none so far w ob just over 200 hrs all Ive done is take the hood off of one to see what it looks like.:D

Panther 09-12-2006 07:50 PM

If I were to go OB I wouldn't buy something with Merc. Welfare Motors.

Turn the key, pull the pin and pray! :eek: