boattrader.com vs. boats.com

Notices

boattrader.com vs. boats.com

Old 09-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boattrader.com vs. boats.com

We have used boattrader for years with good success to sell our boats. Boats.com keeps wanting me to add their site. It has always been my contention that trader is the leader,and a shopper would always go to trader first. Seems like a duplication of effort and I would be wasting money.Comments?

Last edited by Magicfloat; 09-14-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:42 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: boattrader.com vs. boats.com

Depends on the model. Generally, under 50K does well on boat trader. I have had more success with boats 50K to over $1MM on Yachtworld.com. Been using both since 1999. Both are better than print. Print media is dead.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
We have used boattrader for years with good success to sell our boats. Boats.com keeps wanting me to add their site. It has always been my contention that trader is the leader,and a shopper would always go to trader first. Seems like a duplication of effort and I would be wasting money.Comments?

I see your point. However, you could be reaching more potential customers. I would try it and track which site the customers are calling from.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:46 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I check them both when looking for something as well as iboats, hard to say if it is worth your dollars to advertise in both.

I would say that many of the listings I look at get dismissed for lack of pictures or detailed information about the boat.

I think that is the main issue, you can google a specific model boat and find many listings, the quality of the listings determine who gets the first call
Old 09-14-2006, 09:47 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

I say it depends on the boat. If you have a boat that there are not tons of them for sale go with only trader. If there are several of your boat out on the market put it on several sites. 9 times out of 10 a buyer will find your boat if that's what they are looking for. Just my .02
Old 09-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i've used ebay on numerous occasions and may not have sold them during the auction BUT have always gotten a great response and sold a few after the fact...just my .02
Old 09-14-2006, 09:57 AM
MOP
Registered

I am a broker and started with Soundings now part of BT back in 1979, I keep good track of my advertising yield, print was the first to go though still alive in the very most upper market place. I tracked Boat Trader/Sounding "vs" Boats/com/Yacht World for over three years, I dropped Trader this summer it just could not compare. I have a pretty diverse group of boats and feel I cover the average Joe very well.

Phil
Old 09-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Registered

We do Boattrader, Yachtworld, and are just getting set-up with boats.com...I think it has something to do with how the search engine being used by the shopper sees the website that you have your boat(s) advertised on. I would say that the more coverage increases the opportunity for "hits".
Hugh
Old 09-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Registered

boats.com is owned by Trader online. Take your pick. Either way your money is going to the same place. But both are pretty effective, from what people who've sold boats through both sites have told me.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Registered

I've never been to boats.com. Use trader and yachtworld almost every day when I'm supposed to be working

Quick Reply: boattrader.com vs. boats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.