Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs? >

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Notices

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Old 09-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Ron, I agree 100%...thats the $64,000 question...how do you enforce them..... I had a suggestion earlier in the thread... may not be the best solution, but its a suggestion none the less.

And what can you do if someone breaks the rules? Well, offender forfiets entry fee and is not entitled to any thing that came with the entry fee..... Ie card hands, any food or drink etc....... perhaps not allowed to enter same event the following year. The second something along those lines happens people will take notice.....

like you have pointed out, it's hard to know exactly what action to take, but at least having those safety guidlines is a start... what is done with them is the next step...
Old 09-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
So, how do you enforce them? What's the penilty for breaking a rule?

As I said earlier - the are not invited to run.

Just like Rudolph - no more reindeer games for you...
Old 09-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Registered

I think a sanctioning body is the only way to have legitimate PR's. Of course, anyone can create a clandestine PR at any time, but the liabilty of whoever coordinates it is BIG. Those who are intelligent will not only walk, but run away. The not-so-bright will continue down the road until they are either legislated out or a significant accident with innocent victims occurs.
One of the mentalitys of the PRs which has to change for the 5% that hurt the responsible 95% is that it is not a race but a chance to be with like-minded people and have fun.
I like the idea and the concept of accountability, but it doesnt work on the highways - which is we have many laws how we govern our autos - it doesnt work on the water either and if boaters dont take action, then we will soon see the same restrictions as on the roadways.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
As I said earlier - the are not invited to run.

Just like Rudolph - no more reindeer games for you...
Just at this one run, or all runs? That's why you need to put all Poker Run producers in contact with each other. How about a web site that shows banned members??? Who would subscribe to this? Would they follow it? Even racing is in three groups now.

Stu Jones does a great job, as do others yet still have problems with some people.

If I could change just one thing. Just one little thing, I'd get rid of those SOS Suspenders from all Poker Runs. They are for man overboard situations on a canoe and nothing more. Just wear the right safety gear for the speeds you run at. That's a start and that's called personal responsibility.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Registered

RonP is onto something, as usual.

If we cannot govern ourselves individually, we cannot hope to govern ourselves collectively.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Registered

Additionally, the PR population should get upset when they see boats advertised this way. What do you think the general non-performance boating public reads into this?

Featured Classified

2004 Canopied 42' MTI

PERFECT FOR POKER RUNS! 2X1550 Sterlings, 4 seater, Custom carbon fiber dash and cockpit, Livorsi Monster Gauges, Lifeline system, GPS, Custom tilt trailer, 160+ is 2/3 throttle with this boat!!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Registered

let's assume we find an engine locked up on one of the boats in the recent accident, we know that is what has tripped us into this. So one motor locks up at high speed, causing a horrible turn scenario which ends in disaster.

So do we police the mechanical condition of motors? Do we run around checking every boat before a run? Run oil analysis and tear downs of all major components? We know these were experienced drivers, so it is unlikey they "just screwed up", so what are we going to do to prevent this??????? If we then have a problem whis is responsible, what happens if the accident is 12 hours AFTER the run is over and 16 hours after an inspection? What if we have a governing body and all rules are followed CLOSELY and an accident still happens? If I follow this "governing boards" instructions to keep me safe, and I still have an accident, who is to blame?

Maybe accidents are accidents, we do not know what caused the accident, so let us leave it alone for now. This is a good conversation ot be had, but let us wait till we know more before jumping the gun. We should know more before next season starts....

Last edited by dean51267; 09-14-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:58 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tee4texas
Additionally, the PR population should get upset when they see boats advertised this way. What do you think the general non-performance boating public reads into this?

Featured Classified

2004 Canopied 42' MTI

PERFECT FOR POKER RUNS! 2X1550 Sterlings, 4 seater, Custom carbon fiber dash and cockpit, Livorsi Monster Gauges, Lifeline system, GPS, Custom tilt trailer, 160+ is 2/3 throttle with this boat!!
that boat has top of the line safety gear in it, is that not what you want?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Registered

Dean, in my mind, I believe you need a sanctioning body for only one thing - To keep the PR participants and the non-PR participants separated and eliminate the chance of a non-participant from getting involved in an accident.

If the body wanted to do safety checks, etc.......thats fine. I believe the sport can be safe enough as long as you get out of the way of the general boating public - which is also the toughest part. If participants have accidents with other participants, thats just part of the risk and each one has to assess that.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Registered

Sean H - read the post again..........you missed the point - thanks

Quick Reply: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.