Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs? >

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Notices

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Old 09-15-2006, 08:35 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Time for you to wander back to the barn tee4texas. You're a tool. "nuff said. Tell me, what's it like being the a-hole who shows up univited to the party?
Old 09-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
The availability of fast boats to anyone who can write the check or get financed has gotten out of control.
I agree but if you look at the accidents including Smoke on the Water where a factory guy was on the boat. Plus the two big wreck this year the owner operators were from all indications very safe and experienced people. It wasnt just some knucklehead who could write a big check. That is the scary part . I am afraid that if this tern continues that you are correct Poker runs will become extinct.

That would suck
Old 09-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Registered

If a governing board (" sanctioning body") is formed... doesn't that make poker runs look MORE like races? Won't this help insurance companies define exactly what kind of activity poker runs are??? (their perception) and make it easier for them to deny coverage, during participation in a poker run. I enjoy PR for many reasons, one is the exhilaration that comes from running with a group of boats, in close proximity (especially the starts). I am sure that this is NOT the safest portion of the run, but it is fun. Freedom is the largest reason that most of us enjoy boating. I really do not think that more regulations will be good for the sport or the industry, nor do I think that "self imposed" regulations, will keep the government or insurance companies from stepping in (just bolsters their position). In my OPINION, I think education is the best way to help reduce accidents. PR captains meetings are a great place for a safety course (how much fun would school have been...if there was a poker run after class ). There are still a lot of people that truly do not understand the physics of their rigs, nor do they realize how quickly things can go wrong. Maybe using PR for a medium to provide education, would take some of the heat off. I am not saying to license operators (does not prove education, only proves ability to obtain license). It would be repetitive to those that do a lot of PR, but there is nothing wrong with that. Visual aids that remind us, that "accidents" ruin a good time immediately, could help drive the safety points home. In addition to boating with more informed (safer) boaters,insurance companies have already recognized the benefits of boating education (Tres Martin's school). If we are going to do something, let's do something that truly makes better boaters. Rules and laws just make people that have accidents..., criminals . Again, this is just my OPINION.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Lot of good posts here (with the exception of tee4). I have to agree with Craig, and I got blasted for saying it about the cat killer and insurance. I DO strongly feel that the insurance companies will make the regulations for us wether we like it or not. As my policy already says "tests of speed".
However on the Richmond poker run, I have to give credit to Steve, when he was informed of a reckless driver on the run I was at, he assured me that driver would never be allowed on one of his runs again... A few short weeks later that same man took a couples life on a nearby lake.Forsight? I would think that anyone that "shows his ass" at a run be called to the carpet. If I were organizing a run and got a call from another organizer informing me of what someone did I would have no problem telling them they are not welcome, once this happens a few times and this person isnt allowed around, he will get the message. If he tries to enter under false pretenses, he forfiets his fees and then call the law. Tim is right, it's accountability and responsibility for ones actions.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Registered

Time for you to wander back to the barn tee4texas. You're a tool. "nuff said. Tell me, what's it like being the a-hole who shows up univited to the party?

FNi - I am making suggestions - see post #30. What are your thoughts to the OP question? Does a governing board makes sense - pros/cons?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tee4texas
FNi - I am making suggestions - see post #30. What are your thoughts to the OP question? Does a governing board makes sense - pros/cons?
A few questions for you;

1. Have you ever participated in a poker run?

2. Would you ever participate in a poker run?

If the answer is no to any these questions than your opinion and suggestions will have no impact here. You can't expect people to listen to you if you're not active in this high performance boating community, it's just as bad as Al Gore claiming he invented the internet...

We don't go to fishing websites or places like "The Hull Truth" and tell people with Cruisers and fishing boats how they should organize their events.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:45 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
A few questions for you;

If the answer is no to any these questions than your opinion and suggestions will have no impact here. You can't expect people to listen to you if you're not active in this high performance boating community, it's just as bad as Al Gore claiming he invented the internet...

We don't go to fishing websites or places like "The Hull Truth" and tell people with Cruisers and fishing boats how they should organize their events.

exactly. It's always more important to know what you don't know.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
A few questions for you;

Perfectly said!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered

A few questions for you;
These questions have been asked of me before to prove my credibility but here we go:

1. Have you ever participated in a poker run? No - not a boating PR. I have participated in motorcyle PR's which have had a very similar (if not exact) format. Likewise, I have been involved in competition motorsports for over 25 years and am a gearhead by nature (engineering degrees and background). The concept of a boat PR is not real hard to understand or too technical for the average person to comprehend.....unfortunately, many outsiders believe them to be a speed-only or speed emphasized event....education of the boating public is def in order. I am actually FOR PR's and even 100mph+ speeds as long as they dont have the potential to impact non-participating boaters or the risk has been minimized...from what I have seen, thats not often the case. Some appear to do very well - some not so well - need to work on the latter.

Sure, given that I thought it was properly organized and would not impact the rights of others boaters.

I believe turning a deaf ear to others who dont fit your mold is a bad tactic - you need to understand the perception and have input and discussion with outsiders. How many legislators do you know who are avid enthusiasts to PR's and are willling to step up to the plate to support the cause? I wouldnt doubt there are some - these are the people you need to be in contact with to support the cause.

Note, some of you are offended that I like to fish. I figured you like guys like me - I keep seeing this anglersonly.com ad keep popping up - maybe its a ploy to have me leave - lol. Note - I am a boater first and a fisherman second. However, I cant do the latter as freely as I would like when my rights to the former get impacted.

and yes,I am pretty sure Al Gore DID create the internet....I heard it directly from him

Now, that we got sidetracked, what are your thoughts and pros/coms of forming a PR sanctioning body? Panther, Lubes, FNi? You all seem passionate about this so I am sure you have some good ideas. Throw them out there - I am always willing to hear options and alternative thoughts.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

This is the dumbest phucking thread that's been on here in a while.

Who is "We" as referred to in the thread title??? The members of OSO? If offshore racing can't get their chit together and at least get on television, what makes you people think the 100 different poker run organizers would work together?

As I said before, the worst misconception in this whole poker run thing is that people who have never been to one think that it's all a bunch of people running their boats wide open for a whole day. For most people, poker runs are a fun run, where they cruise around for the day and hang out with people who have similar interests.

Quick Reply: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.