Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs? >

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Notices

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Old 09-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Originally Posted by tee4texas

I believe turning a deaf ear to others who dont fit your mold is a bad tactic - you need to understand the perception and have input and discussion with outsiders. How many legislators do you know who are avid enthusiasts to PR's and are willling to step up to the plate to support the cause? I wouldnt doubt there are some - these are the people you need to be in contact with to support the cause.

Note, some of you are offended that I like to fish. I figured you like guys like me - I keep seeing this anglersonly.com ad keep popping up - maybe its a ploy to have me leave - lol. Note - I am a boater first and a fisherman second. However, I cant do the latter as freely as I would like when my rights to the former get impacted.

and yes,I am pretty sure Al Gore DID create the internet....I heard it directly from him

Now, that we got sidetracked, what are your thoughts and pros/coms of forming a PR sanctioning body? Panther, Lubes, FNi? You all seem passionate about this so I am sure you have some good ideas. Throw them out there - I am always willing to hear options and alternative thoughts.
Respect is a right, not a passage.....

To answer part of your question, I don't believe a sanctioning body is the answer. There is already a website which was posted by DaveP, these are the rules I "choose" to follow. I think responsibility is key and I make safety my "own" responsibility.

But, my opinions and options do not mean anything to you because you're not a poker runner. I suggest attending some poker runs first before you write a dissertation of what we should and shouldn't do.

As far as fishing is concerned..... I'm not an avid fisherman but do enjoy fishing with friends who are passionate about it. I may not a agree with fighting a Tuna until it's death but understand people enjoy it. I've learned a lot from my fisherman friends over the years but I would never comment on what they should or shouldn't do and how and where they should have went to get the good fish in the tournement. As a matter of fact....I learned that one of our light houses in the bay blows a horn every minute or two, I never notice this because I'm always flying by on my speed boat! I enjoy it for what it's worth and at the end of the day just mark it off as another thing that I've done in my life.....
Old 09-15-2006, 01:00 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this thread needs to be killed. And teetoddler needs to go back to another forum. Enuf.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But, my opinions and options do not mean anything to you because you're not a poker runner. I suggest attending some poker runs first before you write a dissertation of what we should and shouldn't do.
Actually they do or else I wouldnt have asked. I do believe I will attend a PR so at least I can say that I have done it - I dont think its a necessity to understand how they work but I understand the rational that you may not know everything there is to know unless you BTDT. However, I find it hard to run constantly if there is good fishing water around. Thanks for post.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Registered

I have participated in dozens of Poker Runs. Until a couple weeks ago, I have never seen an accident. At no time during any run have I seen an observer or fan injured. Not once. If the Texoma incident had not happened this thread would not exist. One accident and the entire history of the sport is on trial? It just doesn't make sense to prod and examine PR's in such detail over an obvious equipment failure. I'm sure there have been some isolated incidents I haven't heard about. It goes without saying so please do not feel obligated to quote an entire bibliography of the sport for my benefit.

If there needs to be any changes at all they are minor. Run classes. Do not mix super performance boats with factory Bajas and Searay cruisers. I've even seen a houseboat in a poker run. Run classes of boats that run similar speeds and do not send the next class out until the preceding class is in. That alone will solve a lot of problems.

No need to over analyze this. A tragic accident. That is all. It could have easily of happened had they just been running on the lake at the same time sans any poker run at all.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:48 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CompuBoat
I have participated in dozens of Poker Runs. Until a couple weeks ago, I have never seen an accident. At no time during any run have I seen an observer or fan injured. Not once. If the Texoma incident had not happened this thread would not exist. One accident and the entire history of the sport is on trial? It just doesn't make sense to prod and examine PR's in such detail over an obvious equipment failure. I'm sure there have been some isolated incidents I haven't heard about. It goes without saying so please do not feel obligated to quote an entire bibliography of the sport for my benefit.

If there needs to be any changes at all they are minor. Run classes. Do not mix super performance boats with factory Bajas and Searay cruisers. I've even seen a houseboat in a poker run. Run classes of boats that run similar speeds and do not send the next class out until the preceding class is in. That alone will solve a lot of problems.

No need to over analyze this. A tragic accident. That is all. It could have easily of happened had they just been running on the lake at the same time sans any poker run at all.
Those who do not learn from the past...are doomed to repeat it.......

Why do we suddenly have two "noobies" with diametrically opposed viewpoints...... both from Texas......... waxing philosophically on our forum???

Cat....is that you?

T2x
Old 09-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Registered

I'm no "newbie" by any stretch. I new Gordon Mineo very well and have been operating boats for 35 years. The fact you maintain a high post count does not make you any more an authority than I. I've been a participant in more than 30 poker runs. That may not make me an expert but certainly qualifies my opinion as relevant. Gordon would be appalled by this conversation on many levels. I am not speaking for him but I know that the freedom this sport represents was his driving force, as it is mine. If you do not welcome opinions from boaters outside your particular circle jerk please post it openly on registration and we will be happy to post elsewhere.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:22 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CompuBoat
I'm no "newbie" by any stretch. I new Gordon Mineo very well and have been operating boats for 35 years. .
I did not know Gordon Mineo at all.....

and I pray for his soul.

That having been said......... The pattern of accidents in Poker Runs is a correctible phenomenon if we put our minds to it. This will take effort, focus and perhaps some inconvenience on the part of the participants. What it does not need is a dismissal of the circumstances and a rush to bury them under the rug. the only "circle jerk" on this forum would be to return to the pattern of thinking that led to this unfortunate and tragic circumstance in the first place.

I submit that 35 years of boating and the loss of a friend should make one more receptive to preventive measures.

T2x
Old 09-15-2006, 03:26 PM
cloke

TEE4TEXAS

Gettin chit on again!!! I understand you completely.Don't let em chase you away.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Registered

The accident was caused by mechanical failure. It had zip to do with how the poker run was structured. Boats pass each other by the moment on every body of water on any given day. The mechanical failure at speeds from 50 and up would have ended in tragedy regardless of whether a poker run was taking place.

No one can be any more saddened outside the immediate families than I. However, I feel these discussions are fodder for politicians and anti performance boat activists and you are just fueling them with this gross overreaction. Just my opinion. Feel free to bash away.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Registered

No!

I love speed!

Dan

Quick Reply: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.