Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Alabama Boat Ban Lawsuit (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/140518-alabama-boat-ban-lawsuit.html)

bidpro 09-16-2006 01:45 PM

Re: Alabama Boat Ban Lawsuit

What specifically is the proposed legislation / law going to prevent if it is enacted?.

Gregg Reichman

Magicfloat 09-16-2006 07:42 PM

In the first hearing 2 weeks ago the Dept of Conservation attorney was asked the exact same question by the judge. His response was,"Your honor,we are not sure,since we did not support the bill.We assume it was for safety reasons". :rolleyes: BTW,it is not a proposed law,it is a signed by the Governor law that goes into effect Oct 1. That is why our lawsuit is so important. On Oct 1,any boat over 26'11" long and capable of over 60 mph will be BANNED from 3 Alabama lakes,not grandfathered in,BANNED,as in do not launch,do not use ,do not even dock,on those lakes. :mad:

Pantera1 09-17-2006 07:25 AM

They are trying to railroad everyone on this .. I truely hope it comes back and bites em in the azz :mad:

Dean Ferry 09-17-2006 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ratickle
:eek: I'm starting to wonder about our support in our own community. Did any of you read the editorial in Hot Boat where they did not like the new Alabama law but no one opposed it prior to passage? Where were they? They said at least now some boaters have filed a suit against the ban.

Can everyone send them an email with a link to the threads we were all paying close attention to?

And how do we start a public relations group within our own "family" to make sure all items of major importance get to the national publications for assistance?

We have suffered the same lack of support here in FLORIDA from the boating community, concerning the Manatee zone issues! :mad: Apathy runs rampant in the boating community. :(

Dean

bidpro 09-17-2006 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
In the first hearing 2 weeks ago the Dept of Conservation attorney was asked the exact same question by the judge. His response was,"Your honor,we are not sure,since we did not support the bill.We assume it was for safety reasons". :rolleyes: BTW,it is not a proposed law,it is a signed by the Governor law that goes into effect Oct 1. That is why our lawsuit is so important. On Oct 1,any boat over 26'11" long and capable of over 60 mph will be BANNED from 3 Alabama lakes,not grandfathered in,BANNED,as in do not launch,do not use ,do not even dock,on those lakes. :mad:

Magicfloat:

What is the legal basis for the "Banning" and was there any authority quoted, or did some mavrick just "take a shot" and hope no one whould be watching?.

Gregg Reichman

Magicfloat 09-17-2006 12:07 PM

A maverick just took a shot. The story behind all of this reads like a bad John Grisham novel. Unfortunately I cannot share it now,but will later. Suffice it to say the Dept of Cons. is not the enemy,they hate the law,but are bound to enforce it. They are actually the good guys. The bad guys,well, search the archives at www.dailyhome.com. Key word,boat ban.You will be shocked. Robert

FeverMike 09-17-2006 05:56 PM

Robert, I sure hope this all works out for you Alabama boaters. If this really goes through this is the start of other people getting weird ideas.

However there are plenty of lakes around the counrty with bans like this. Deep Creek MD has a ban of all boat more than 25 feet.

beerisgood 09-18-2006 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Robert, I sure hope this all works out for you Alabama boaters. If this really goes through this is the start of other people getting weird ideas.

I hope it works out for you guys also. I'm not a lawyer, but in addition to the lawsuit against the department of conservation I would talk to your attorney about filing a separate lawsuit against those responsible for the diminished value of your and everyone else that is affected boat because of the potential ban. Boats are an investment and politicians that bend to special interests tick me off. Justin

RonS 09-18-2006 03:34 PM

I don't know if this has already been done, but what about getting the whole community involved by explaining to them how much their taxes will go up once high priced condo's and development start to go up on the lake. Everybody may not care about the big boats being banned but nobody likes their taxes going up.

Audiofn 09-27-2006 09:05 AM

Hey Robert what ever happened with this?

Jon