Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Picked up a bag yesterday... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/140675-picked-up-bag-yesterday.html)

offshoredrillin 09-18-2006 06:07 AM

Re: Picked up a bag yesterday...

Originally Posted by el indio
"In the dumps with the bumps and the adolecent mumps"........the boss

thought this one manfred mann...blinded by the light?

offshoredrillin 09-18-2006 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by boatme
Rob

do you have water pressure gauges ???

Most of the time It tells you you have a problem long before the temp goes to 250

every boat i have owned had them or i put em in

first defence against overheating

temp didnt get over 200, could just hear it drop off and start to suck air and I shut down quick, then put in reverse. What i did learn was not to turn off the motor once the bag is free, just let it start to circulate cool water, if not then you just have a dry block staying hot....

And I was GLAD it came off very quickly:D

offshoredrillin 09-18-2006 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
:rolleyes:

yup yup

Panther 09-18-2006 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Byrdman
Picking up a bag....thats what they say in long island when you pop a motor and do not want to blame yourself mis judgement of fuel and boost :eek:

Nah, it was the loose nut behind the wheel running thru crab traps... :D

GLH 09-18-2006 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Picked up a bag yesterday...

I hope it's a paper one, when you use plastic the chick turns blue after a few minutes....

Ahhhhhhh reminds me of the single life way back when....

Dean Ferry 09-18-2006 10:16 AM

Yep,
I sucked up a bunch of Sea grass that was floating in the Barge Canal yesterday. Going in reverse in a jet boat doesn't clear it out. :rolleyes: Had to jump into the water, dive under the boat and I pulled 2-3 Hands full of seagrass out of the jet intake grate! :eek:
Jumped back in, started her up and off I went. :D
Dean

Pantera1 09-18-2006 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
temp didnt get over 200, could just hear it drop off and start to suck air and I shut down quick, then put in reverse. What i did learn was not to turn off the motor once the bag is free, just let it start to circulate cool water, if not then you just have a dry block staying hot....

And I was GLAD it came off very quickly:D

Actualy you should shut it down and let it cool slowly . Pumping cold water through a very hot cast iron block = cracks :D

mr_velocity 09-18-2006 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Yep,
I sucked up a bunch of Sea grass that was floating in the Barge Canal yesterday. Going in reverse in a jet boat doesn't clear it out. :rolleyes: Had to jump into the water, dive under the boat and I pulled 2-3 Hands full of seagrass out of the jet intake grate! :eek:
Jumped back in, started her up and off I went. :D
Dean

If you're up on plane get her going as fast as you can, shut the motor down and pull the shift into reverse as quick as possible. Usually get the water flowing through the pump backwards enought to clear things out.

Tom A. 09-18-2006 11:31 AM

Last year I sucked a plastic bag in through the low water pickup. Temp. Skyrocketed so I shut it down and checked the sea-strainer. It was clear but I still wasn't pumping any water. I had to get towed in and when we pulled the boat out of the water there was a 1" piece of bag sticking out. I ended up pulling a whole plastic grocery bag out of the pickup :eek:
After that episode I installed a water pressure gauge.

Dean Ferry 09-18-2006 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
If you're up on plane get her going as fast as you can, shut the motor down and pull the shift into reverse as quick as possible. Usually get the water flowing through the pump backwards enought to clear things out.

Unfortunatley, I was in a Manatee zone! :mad: But one of the many cool things about this little Seaddo jet boat is we can run along the outside of most of the Manatee zones, because it'll run in 2 feet of water! :eek:
Dean