Notices

Help with new purchase

Old 09-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Help with new purchase

I am looking to get into a larger boat 35-38ft. I was looking at a Baja 38 Special for the amenities but could sacrifice for something a little more aggressive. Like a true offshore. Would like to find a fresh water boat. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help with new purchase

There are alot of boats out there in that size range. What do you consider more agresive. I'm talkin about power. Also age range and price.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Registered

The key there is what price range. There are some new boats Fountain, Baja, Formula, etc. that can be had for 150K and up up up.

Best place to start on used boats would be the OSO classifieds once you establish a realisitic price range and if you want turn key or to pick up one you dont mind doing a little work to update.

Good luck, boat shopping is always fun!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Registered

look at the 33 / 37 /43 Active Thunder
Old 09-18-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Moses
I am looking to get into a larger boat 35-38ft. I was looking at a Baja 38 Special for the amenities but could sacrifice for something a little more aggressive. Like a true offshore. Would like to find a fresh water boat. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
You picked a good time to boat shop. Used boat prices are in the toilet and winter is coming. If you can catch someone pre-layup you could do well.

The size you're looking at is very popular- lots out there. If you shop in the midwest, you'll find no-salt boats with low hours. It's tough to hour one up with a 90-day boating season. The downside of midwestern boats in that range is many are either trailered or docked. There's not alot of rack storage for larger boats- unlike Florida or Texas. Look for trailer rash on the bottom or evidence of extended stays in the water. Outdrive corrosion and gelcoat blisters are two big signs.

On older boats, you'll see lots of TRS drives. They're sturdy but less fuel efficient than Bravos and now that Merc discontinued them, parts are getting tough to find. Also, be very aware of wood rot on any boat, especially one more than 5 or 6 years old. The quality and reputation of the builder has nothing to do with it. I've seen lots of Cigarettes, Apaches and others with rotten transoms in as little as 8 or 10 years- especially on docked boats. They let the bilge fill with rainwater and it saturates the outdrive cutout area.

Baja is a mid-range boat. Something like a Cig is going to last longer, hold more value, ride better and have more "at the dock" value than a mass-produced boat. You can find very nice Mistress models for mid-$30's and late-80's Top Guns for the $60's. The downside is the older boats are heavier and slower.

The cardinal rule of buying a boat- get a THOROUGH survey from a professional, knowledgeable high-performance surveyor. Some guy who usually does Searays isn't going to be nearly as much help.

Also, you have to decide what your idea of a bargain is. The boat may be beautiful but if it's got tired motors, rotten exhaust and TRS drives, you're looking at serious coin to repower and convert to Bravos.

As everyone will tell you, it all starts with this question... what's your price range?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:01 PM

If your looking at amenties the Donzi 38ZX is a great boat with a big cabin downstairs, Fridge Microwave full bathroom some have AC/Genys TVs and with 525s runs 78-80 mph and she also holds good value.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn thats some quick responces, thanks. I'm trying to keep my price limited to 70k. I know I will be throwing money at it after I purchase it but at least I can do it at my own pace. I live in Vegas so I have to have something shipped. There's just not alot of big boats up for sale out here. I'm looking at a 38 special this week. I'm just more of a racier kind of guy, so now I'm getting cold feet wondering if I'm making the right decision. It seems like all these big boats run anywhere from 60-80 top speed. Does that sound true? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Moses
Damn thats some quick responces, thanks. I'm trying to keep my price limited to 70k. I know I will be throwing money at it after I purchase it but at least I can do it at my own pace. I live in Vegas so I have to have something shipped. There's just not alot of big boats up for sale out here. I'm looking at a 38 special this week. I'm just more of a racier kind of guy, so now I'm getting cold feet wondering if I'm making the right decision. It seems like all these big boats run anywhere from 60-80 top speed. Does that sound true? Thanks.

the boat is not as important as the person behind the wheel as in any other motor vehicle. The newer models with "step bottoms: have a reputation as being a little un-stable for turning at high speeds. Proper knowledge and understanding of trim and tabs one should be able to handle reasonable turns (except DHLAW) with out causing you any safety issues, ie: throwing you and the passengers out of the boat. Do take the time and extra monies to have the boat looked at a surveyor. It could save you thousands. If this is going to be your first power boat, I also recommend that you take a boating course. There is a member on here that provides this type of training and he has an excellent reputation for knowing his stuff. The man's name is Tres Martin, here is the link to his web site http://www.tresmartinperformance.com/ . I have not personally taken his course but I will be this coming spring (no more vacation left ).. There are a lot of valid points that Chis S. made that should be followed by anyone. Good Luck!!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about tricks 36 outlaw? Its priced very well, and i think it has a/c too.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Chris Sunkin said...right now it is a buyer market out there. You should do good and get a lot of boat for your money...even new boats are in the dumper just look around on all the dealer websites.
Have you checked into insurance yet?

Quick Reply: Help with new purchase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.