Notices

Help with new purchase

Old 09-18-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Help with new purchase

Originally Posted by Moses
Damn thats some quick responces, thanks. I'm trying to keep my price limited to 70k. I know I will be throwing money at it after I purchase it but at least I can do it at my own pace. I live in Vegas so I have to have something shipped. There's just not alot of big boats up for sale out here. I'm looking at a 38 special this week. I'm just more of a racier kind of guy, so now I'm getting cold feet wondering if I'm making the right decision. It seems like all these big boats run anywhere from 60-80 top speed. Does that sound true? Thanks.
I don't want to sound like I'm down on the Baja but you need to decide what you want before you jump. The baja "looks" like an offshore race boat, but it's not. Full cabins can slow a boat 10, 20 or more MPH. Baja isn't "overbuilt" like a Cig, Apache or many others. Many of those have half-cabins- enough to duck a brief storm or maybe to "take a nap". Toilets, extra batteries and air conditioning are cruiser amenities, not offshore hardware. Plus, all that additional weight on a mid-priced performance/cruiser is tough on it. If you want to jump over 8 footers with that extra ton and a half of bunny fur, be prepared to pop a stringer- or worse.

There's one hell of alot of difference between some of these boats. If you look at new prices, you have to ask yourself why of two equal sized boats, one can be twice as much as another.

In this market it's easy to buy so whatever you get will be expensive to change if you choose wrong.

What exactly do you see yourself doing with the boat and where will you use it? Are you planning on trailering it? If so, ad another $20K for a proper tow vehicle that will tug 10K/#+ safely and legally.

With all due respect, this sounds like your first go-fast. You probably don't need to be going 80MPH, at least not for a while- certainly not on lakes. Another thing to consider is insurance. Too much motor or too much MPH and you may not be insurable at any price. If you lie to the insurer about experience on your app, you might as well save the $$ and run uninsured. They're looking at mishaps with a fine-toothed comb these days
Old 09-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Who's Trick? Can you send me a pic or let me know which one to look at?
Thanks. I'm interested in what the differences are between the outlaw cig's fountains, formulas, a/t seems like this is very opionated sport/hobby.
I didn't think it was going to be this hard wish I could have one of everything!
Old 09-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

www.trickmarine.net

http://www.trickmarine.net/productde...?productid=828

He has a 36 Baja listed that sounds right up your alley.

Where are you planning to do most of your boating? River? Ocean? Lake? This will affect which boat will be right for you. Some boats ae better handing on smooth water and give you a faster smooth ride. Other boats are better and faster in rough water, and are built tougher for a more pounding body of water.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-18-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baja 38 Special is the WORST performance boat I have ever driven. The 36 Outlaw is alot more fun.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for all the posts. And thanks for the link to Tricks outlaw, that's a nice boat that fits my range. There is a 93 38 Top Gun in the classified section for 78K that looks nice, original owner. Probably two very different boats, just a guess! Most of the use will be on Lake Mead in Nevada so I don't think I'm going to hit any 8 footers but that sounds like a good time. Knowing me I'm sure someone will talk me into some crazy trip off the coast.
I have not looked into Ins. yet but if you sell it you can shoot me an e-mail. I have one of those F350 Power Strokes. It does OK for towing. I was driving my close friends Hallet 30t with some kind of race motors and after I ran it up to 96 on his speedo he said he thought that was the fastest his boat was ran. Why build it if your not going to use it?
Old 09-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,069 Likes on 283 Posts

There is a 90+ mph 34 foot superboat for sale. Good price, great lines will run with a 38 foot boat in the rough. Has 525's and will be listed for 150k i belive.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Moses
Thank you for all the posts. And thanks for the link to Tricks outlaw, that's a nice boat that fits my range. There is a 93 38 Top Gun in the classified section for 78K that looks nice, original owner.
If I were you, I'd be looking at a Cafe Racer. Still a Cig, less cost, easier on gas and a bit quicker with equal power. You aren't going to be crushing big swells so for the same money you could get a newer boat with Bravos.

I rarely do this but you also might want to look at a Fountain. Their 38 is the equivalent of a regular 35' boat and their 42 is the real length of a 38. Good choice for not-so-heavy water. They hold their value well but that hurts a bit on the front end. Another good performance boat that will give you big bang for your buck is Velocity. It's not an ultra-premium boat but will go faster than just about anything else with equal horsepower. Their 38 is a very nice boat.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 38 Special does not ride well in rough water. I would look at a 38 Donzi, 40 Hustler, Sonic...if you want headroom and a bit more space.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-11828.html

better hurry... someone is flyin in on thurs to look!!
Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You're on the west coast. If I were you, I'd be looking at 'Pool Whore's 1991 Carbon Fiber Cig.
It has been extremely well taken care of, and is already on the WC.
Its light weight so it should be better on fuel than other TGs.

Just My Opinion.

Quick Reply: Help with new purchase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.