How long do dealers keep new boats >

How long do dealers keep new boats

Notices

How long do dealers keep new boats

Old 09-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How long do dealers keep new boats

The Wellcraft dealer at Grand held a 2002 Scarab 33'AVS a long long time. He sold it this year. don't know what he sold it for.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wellcraft dealer at Grand had a 2002 Scarab 33'AVS a long long time. He sold it this year. don't know what he sold it for.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
The Wellcraft dealer at Grand had a 2002 Scarab 33'AVS a long long time. He sold it this year. don't know what he sold it for.
I'd worry about the engines on a boat that has sat for years. It seems like the cylinders would be rusted up, and the seals dried up.

Michael
Old 09-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"but remember that when you need a small item fixed at 4 o'clock on a Friday it's most likely your sellling dealer that will take care of it."

That's funny chit! Whoever saw anybody do anything on a Friday at 4 P.M.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

The problems with hold over boats is they are the same as a used boat to me. Other than a warranty (can be bought) it has depreciated in value to everyone except the dealer who is still trying to sell it at cost or more.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:08 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
"but remember that when you need a small item fixed at 4 o'clock on a Friday it's most likely your sellling dealer that will take care of it."

That's funny chit! Whoever saw anybody do anything on a Friday at 4 P.M.
I did. My marina service dept has someone on staff every day. Now, they won't pull an engine or replace a drive on Sunday morning, but we can put in a small part that is in stock or replace a battery or fuse, etc.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:50 AM
It's a Wicked Rush!!!
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STUCK
How long will a dealer keep new boats on there lot? Was at a boat show this past weekend and there was a 2004 that is still a new boat it was there last year and my wife liked it but the price was still to high well it was there again but the asking price was more because it came with a trailer which I was told was a $7k trailer which meant the boat was still the same as last year. I checked there site and now the boat is a $1k less then what was listed at the show. Just wondered how soon before they are just wanting to get it gone.
I just purchased a "new" 2003. Saved over 30K and even made a deal for a trailer. This time-of-year is prime, especially up north with storage costs. They want to move them. I bought the thing over 3 wks ago and dealers and marina's are still calling wanting to know if "I'm still interested...we can make you a killer deal"...!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered

Stuck, was there an engine in it?? If so, I wonder if the engine manufacturer would still warranty.....
Old 09-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Just keep in mind that saving 30K is nice but if you were to drive that boat to another dealer for a trade they are going to just price it like any other 3 soon to be 4 year old boat.

Raymonds Smithsonian Boat Storage and Sales at LOTO had a new 2000 or 2001 Cigarette Mystique that they owned up until earlier this year. Now that boat was 189K new and if someone paid 50K off sticker (over 25%) it would sound like a good deal but in reality that boat wouldn't be worth more than 100K on the open market.

Every deal is different, but an older boat/ leftover is worth less than a current year because it is older! Everyone thinks that when they buy the perfect boat they will keep it forever but in reality they will be looking to sell it in a few years so for most the resale is going to be an issue.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Registered

From the words of a salesman "the avg boater keeps the boat for 3-5 years before trading/selling" I have noticed more people looking for used boats than new, just to escape depriciation value

Quick Reply: How long do dealers keep new boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.