Whats the deal with Ken Warby?

Notices

Whats the deal with Ken Warby?

Old 09-22-2006, 05:02 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Whats the deal with Ken Warby?

Little known fact about the Arfons attempt.......Before Craig died in his attempt, his uncle Art made an attempt of his own.

The sponsons on his record boat had racing wheels and tires protruding down slightly below the pads...on axles.

He basically mounted his drag racer on a pair of pontoons... and intended to "roll over the water" at speed, the theory being that water is harder than concrete at high speed.
He had very little respect, it would seem, for the danger and hydro/aero-dynamics involved. As I recall, he felt that he had gone considerably faster on land than his intended water speed and he sort of blew off the water speed record dangers.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Whats the deal with Ken Warby?-art_arfons_green_monster_1967_1.jpg   Whats the deal with Ken Warby?-art_arfons_green_monster_1967_3.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 09-22-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T2x,
The jet car conversion was Art Arfons and it never ran on water,thankfully.
Craig Arfons boat was a stretched Deaver drag hydro and his boat pic is attached.

The 345 mph mentioned for" Spirit",was a terminal speed at the end of the backup run.

First run 305 mph.
Backup run 329 mph ....(Radared at 345 mph exiting the traps)
Average speed 317 mph.
Attached Thumbnails Whats the deal with Ken Warby?-arfons.jpg   Whats the deal with Ken Warby?-rainex-challenger.jpg  

Last edited by Blowtorch; 09-22-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you consider ALL speed records (air, land, etc) lately have been by MASSIVELY supported efforts by multi-national corporations or even countries......................................
Ken Warby has nothing to prove. He can retire a champion, in the same way any undefeated boxer that held their record for decades can.
As always, my $0.02
BTW, there have been some very good threads in here. Gotta love this site.
Gary
Old 09-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Little known fact about the Arfons attempt.......Before Craig died in his attempt, his uncle Art made an attempt of his own.

The sponsons on his record boat had racing wheels and tires protruding down slightly below the pads...on axles.

He basically mounted his drag racer on a pair of pontoons... and intended to "roll over the water" at speed, the theory being that water is harder than concrete at high speed.
He had very little respect, it would seem, for the danger and hydro/aero-dynamics involved. As I recall, he felt that he had gone considerably faster on land than his intended water speed and he sort of blew off the water speed record dangers.

T2x
Wow!... what a weird concept. I remember when The green monster and Spirit of america were inching up the speed record on the salt flats in the 60s. I was an elementary school student in SLC and it was front page news every day. Arfons blew tires.... Brave Speedlove... uhhhh ... I mean Craig Breedlove went into a drainage ditch... all the while they were approaching 400 mph and beyond.