Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   UPDATE! Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/14111-update-opinions-wanted-donzi-severely-blistering.html)

DONZIMAN2 10-16-2001 07:00 PM

Ditto RickS. Tell your dad I said Hi. Any good deals on a new 33ZX out there. Might be interested in what he can do. Talk to you soon. Donziman2

RickS 10-16-2001 08:11 PM

DonziMan2,
He does have one with HP500's. You may have already seen it and I'm not sure if it would fit your desires, but were moving it back East (MD) next month. I've sent you mail.

DONZIMAN2 10-16-2001 08:23 PM

Thanks Rick, If it is your Dads boat it has the High Roller blue paint on it with Mayco Trailer. I have the poker run edition of that paint on my 26ZX with the cards. I looked at a 38ZX at the show last week. The 9'3" Beam is awesome. I really like the upgrades they have made over the past couple of years. We had 8 people sitting in the cuddy in A/C for about an hour after lunch. It really is a nice boat. You had said the other day on one of your post that there was a big difference in the 33/38ZX ride. How good is the 33? I know how well my 26ZX does in the bay I can only imagine the difference between that and the bigger rides. I will check my mail. Thanks. P.S. Nice Chevy truck you got. Donziman2

DONZIMAN2 10-16-2001 09:12 PM

Just checked my mail. That is an awesome boat. It has the same paint as mine. How is the ride? Must be awesome. Been kinda shopping new. Does your dads boat have a shower? With the vacuum bag construction do you feel a difference? The craftsmanship on the 38 I saw was really great. I have always liked the way they do the graphics and paint. It really is a head turner. Have you checked out the new graphics they have out this year? I like some of the new ones. Talk to you soon. Donziman2

roadtrip 10-16-2001 10:04 PM

I have owned two Donzi Classics over the years. A 96 16 Classic and a 01 22 Classic.
I have also owned several other performance boats that cost me a whole lot more money to acquire, run, and maintain. I never got the service out of these other manufacturers, even though I had close to 200k in one of these monsters, that I get out of Donzi. This guy has a problem, a big one, but this is the exception to the rule. I would think that the independent thinkers on this board would resist the pile-on mentality presented in this thread. Doesn't do much for your credibility at all....

DONZIMAN2 10-16-2001 10:07 PM

Welcome Back Roadtrip! How is it going? Have not been posting for a while. Been to busy enjoying life on my DONZI 26ZX. Talk to you soon.

Scott B 10-17-2001 12:19 AM

Pure and simple, warranty does not cover blisters. Neither does anybody elses that I am aware of. Wish I had a nickel for every blister I have seen on other sportboats. Hell, I'd take a nickel for each one on my boat. But, the difference here is that I know and admit mine were caused by improper storage.

Blisters are caused by water intrusion. The ones under the seat cushions are the most telling to me. I know for a fact that wet cushions cause this. Want to see the pictures?? Yet this boat was allegedly stored away properly everytime, even before he bought it?

Sorry, something is weird here. Donzi offered an upgrade to a new boat. Now yes, it is money out of his pocket, but it is a 2002 boat, not a 96. Comes with full 5 year warranty. Meantime, he has had what, 2 or three years use of his original boat. Survey points out that he paid approx 30k for the boat. (FWIW, 46 k + that 30 k doesnt add up to the price of a new 26, so he is getting a good deal.) Now, maybe I am a little out of the loop, but that seems like a mighty low price for a "demo" boat. My guess is that, as is frequently done by car & boat dealers, the "demo" boat was a dealer playtoy for several years. When they decided to move on to a newer toy, they dumped the boat. Hell, for all I know, they saw the beginnings of blisters, and dumped it. Dealer stated (do we have this in writing?) that the factory warranty came with the boat. Was this approved, in writing, by Donzi? Also, he bought a used boat. Regardless of being called a "demo", it is a used boat. The survey points out 2 areas that have been repaird already. Who did the repairs? What happened to the boat that it needed repairs?

Sorry, way to many "ifs" here. Guy, if your that serious about this problem, quit the crap, file the lawsuit. Quit using the net to make your case for free, put your own money up to fight this.

Scott

Red Stripe 10-17-2001 01:16 AM

chrker
You are doing the right thing posting what Donzi is doing to you on the internet!! They need to step up to the plate and fix this problem. People need to hear about this stuff when it happens. There is no reason why they couldn't have taken care of this a long time ago. Sounds like corporate america bull-**** politics coming from Donzi.
After reading about your situation, I will never buy a Donzi. PERIOD. Even if they eventually do come through for you. (too late)
Its great that some people have never had this kind of dealings with Donzi but just that fact that you are having the problem is reason enough for me. Shows what they are made of!!
It makes me sick to look at those pictures!!
I have a buddy from work that was going to look at a Donzi this weekend, now his plans have changed. I feel sorry for everyone with this brand of boat. Not going to be easy to sell them with crappy customer service from the manufacturer. If they will do it to one person, they could do it to you. Count your lucky stars its not happening to you too.
Just Terrible!!!

stingray 10-17-2001 01:21 AM

Whad'up Donziman2?! I was wondering how long you would wait before jumping in and sinking your fangs into this. Roadtrip, nice to hear from ya buddy. You still boatin'????

chrker 10-17-2001 02:58 AM

Scott B:

Even simpler.

Joint Survey states: "Extreme porosity in surface finish of hull sides and deck throughout."

Joint Survey states: "The extreme quantity of the below waterline blisters and porosity of the gel coat above the waterline indicate there was a major problem with the gel coat and its application on this boat. Probable causes are improper thinning of gelcoat prior to spraying or water introduced during spray application (possibly catalyst contamination).

Could this cause blisters? Oh, I think so.
Are the blisters merely a symptom of the defective gelcoat? They are.

Warranty states: the hull and deck are warranted "to be free from defects in material, under normal use and care"

Joint Survey states: "All due diligence has been accomplished in terms of maintenance and nothing in the boat’s use can be construed as not within the "normal use and care" restraints."

I have a new boat warranty. Validated by Joint Survey. Referenced by Jim Martin, Director Donzi Customer Service in their "proposal". Not in dispute by either party.

Should Donzi have extended a new boat warranty given the history of the boat? They did.
Is Donzi standing behind their warranty? Their not.
Am I going to let them walk away from the only reason I bought the boat? I’m not.

Boat was fair market value for a 19996 bought in 1999.

6 model years. Don’t care. If Donzi would have acted responsibly when I first filed my claim we would be talking about a 1999 not a 2002.

5 year Z-Care warranty? Don’t care. Nearest Authorized Donzi repair service is 4 hours away.

No "ifs" in your statement. No crap here, just facts. Don’t worry about my lawsuit, I’m not attempting to try my case on the Internet. What’s the saying? If you don’t like it, turn it off.

My intention is to inform fellow consumers of my experiences with Donzi Marine regarding how they are trying to walk away from a boat that has been confirmed to be defective.

Now that’s simple.
Chris

P.S. Red Stripe: I applaud your ability to discern and comprehend the data.