Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   For those of you that have switched from an Offshore to... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/141495-those-you-have-switched-offshore.html)

DENNYB 10-03-2006 12:47 PM

Re: For those of you that have switched from an Offshore to...

Originally Posted by formula1
Well, it's a start, but I bought a older Hydrasport 1800CC with a 150 Yamaha. It's all pretty much been redone. Just gotta do a little rewiring for the lights and stereo. I took it out in the river on Sunday with 1-2 footers and a stiff North wind. I will tell ya, it has been a LONG time since I have riden in such a small boat in those kinda conditions! :eek: It was quite a bumpy ride! Of course, those conditions don't mean squat in my 31' Formula! LOL! In fact, I would call them ideal!

Thanks for all the good info. There are alot of really nice CC's with the forward cuddy's. That is what I'm leaning towards and despite the coolness of triples, I think twin's would be good enough! Anyone have some performance data on a typical 34-36 footer with twin 250's?

Do the CC's ride as good as the Offshore boats in similiar conditions? My wife hates a bumpy ride! :rolleyes:

I would say on the ride and handling you need to make sure that the hull is going to perform in the conditions whether its calm to rough to rollers.The beam, length, and hull dead-rise all play as an important factor in how and what you are expecting from the reaction of your Hull and Engine combinations.There are CC's with a true performing Hull, and others that will beat you to death. For an example, Concept Boats.They are Deep Vee Performance Hulls! It does it all.
It has a very comfortable entry off of waves, performs while your skipping on top, all with the right combinations depending on size of twin or trips it gets it done. Poker Runs,
weekend partying, awesome factory sound systems, and the wildest of Custom Graphics. www.conceptboats.com

John W. Blake 10-03-2006 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
38' Donzi - 3 - 275 Verados - nice ride - nice price - nice speed - nice fish

formula1 10-03-2006 02:30 PM

I really like the Marlago's and the Intrepids. But, they seem way to pricey for me. The Donzi, Fountains and Bajas seem to be more realistic in price. I know you get what you pay for! :rolleyes:

Cuda showed a picture of his friends Renegade. Seems like a nice boat, but I haven't heard of them before. Anyone know any good or bad about these boats?

cuda 10-03-2006 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by formula1
Cuda showed a picture of his friends Renegade. Seems like a nice boat, but I haven't heard of them before. Anyone know any good or bad about these boats?

That is Johno's boat. He posted on post #66 on this thread. He said he couldn't have been happier with the deal, and the way the company treated him while building it. Send him a pm, he'll tell you all about it. The only problem is he sounds funny when he talks. :drink:

carcrash 10-03-2006 10:19 PM

I sold an outboard to get an I/O offshore boat. Then I sold the I/O offshore boat to get a semi go-fast, semi fishing boat: a Fountain 32 Sportfish Cruiser I/O. I like it, have not found anything yet that fits my needs better.

I do like CC/OB boats. Spent the winter playing with a friends in the Keys. It had an aluminum tower with steering station, great for finding the rocks with fish and lobster. Self bailing cockpit kept it from sinking: once filled the entire boat up by being dragged backwards at about 8 knots, water came over the OB well, right through the boat, about 18" or 2 feet deep! Would have sunk any other boat I can think of, was no problem for that Mako 26.

I think a CC/OB will probably get more use for most people than an offshore go-fast.

In my experience, OBs are far more salt water tolerant than car-based I/O or IB boats.

OBs are a LOT easier to work on than an I/O engine.

Offshore boats are the best for what they are built to do: go fast in rough water.

CCs are better for what they are built to do (fish, dive), and for what most people do on the weekend (take lots of friends out to goof off all day).

zimm17 10-04-2006 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by carcrash
I think a CC/OB will probably get more use for most people than an offshore go-fast.

In my experience, OBs are far more salt water tolerant than car-based I/O or IB boats.

OBs are a LOT easier to work on than an I/O engine.

Offshore boats are the best for what they are built to do: go fast in rough water.

CCs are better for what they are built to do (fish, dive), and for what most people do on the weekend (take lots of friends out to goof off all day).

Couldn't be said better. I just have to get the financial ducks in a row to get one! Now if I can figure out how to keep my 22 Donzi AND get a CC, that would be the best of both worlds.