Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Whats up with all the BS...?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/141551-whats-up-all-bs.html)

Pantera1 09-30-2006 12:10 PM

Re: Whats up with all the BS...??

Originally Posted by Martin Bowker
The ability to rant and rave without accountability is a scary thing. Maybe you should be forced to take a digital picutre of yourself during the registration process. That way you have got one identity and can take responsibility for ALL of your posts and not simply create a new user name just like the way things work in real life. Until a couple of days ago I had never been to this OSO website, but over the years I have had some experience on forums in completely unrelated fields and accountability was always a problem. It is nice to hear that people responsible to moderate this website do show some respect to the power of perception, and the potential damage that this can do long before anything can be validated.

No the ability to rant and rave without accountability is a GREAT thing. And is one of the reasons ive stayed around oso for so long.. Freedom of speech ! Its in the constitution !

Zudnic 09-30-2006 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
The work I do from 4:30AM to 7:00AM is what allowed me to go from a Cafe (like Stecz) to a Tiger ... :D

My Dad worked on the Vancouver Stock Exchange, despite being in the Pacific time zone the market opened on the Eastern schedule. So my Dad would leave the house at around 4:30 am arrive at the office slightly passed 5:00 am every morning. I noticed that the people who drove the nice cars all arrived early and stayed late, the crap cars late morning and early to leave people......

Since my Dad was head of corporate finance, mixed with my lastname, pretty good one if you know Vancouver, the brokerage firm and my last name. Teachers, classmates parents etc, notice the toys your family takes you to school in. I learned fast not to mention what companies my Dad was involved in because those people tended to attempt to tag along. One of my teachers blew his retirement on an issue the firm and my Dad was working on. Felt kind of guilty until I got older and reliazed that my teacher chose to buy the stock, all I did was mention the companies name, he invested because he thought my Dad was. My Dad's rule and I tend to agree with it, no relatives, no friends of the family could be my Dad's client. I'm thinking that in certain things that people can lose money on; boats, cars, or even investments that it is best not to sell them to people you consider your friends...........

Ms PatriYacht 09-30-2006 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by never enuff
It's to bad that a few members of this site believe that your credibility is tied to the number of posts you have made, but it sure is a good way to keep new members quiet. I guess your not allow to have an opinion or share or ask for information until you have at least a jillion posts. I have gained a lot of helpful information on this site just by reading and I have also met a large number of great people that are very helpful--so keep on posting and I'll keep on reading and learning. :D

That's not really a fair statement, I have seen a ton of first time posters or members with low post counts welcomed here with open arms and taken serious. What myself and other regular members have a problem with, are new members that start out with posts that are meant to inflame. Unfortunately those are often made by former members that have been cut off, or members that don't have the kaunnas to post under their regular screen names. Often they come on OSO knowing alot of our business, yet are newly registerd, to me that is a red flag. After being here a while a lot of us can spot a phony from their first post, sometimes we are wrong but most times not.