Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help Me Pick a Starter Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/141699-help-me-pick-starter-boat.html)

CAP071 09-30-2006 09:07 PM

Re: Help Me Pick a Starter Boat

Buy whatever you want, Just drive it safely and SOBER

gixxerracer 340 09-30-2006 09:25 PM

I always drive sober. Like I said before I've been on boats since I was a kid. I didn't think 80-90 was too big of a deal. My trackbike sees 160+ every summer, I didn't think 80 was a big deal. Going 80 is like going for a jog to me. I've put my trackbike down well over a hundred several times unfortunately I know about keeping things safe all too well. The boat I have now pushes 50, I was hoping to go for 80-90. If everybody here is advising against it, maybe I'll stick in the 70 range. Thanks for all the advice so far, keep it coming.

tony

dave911 09-30-2006 09:58 PM

Yep. Keep your learner boat under 75mph for sure.

Unlike a Gixxer, there are no brakes on a fast boat. Trouble closes in quickly.

Good luck. D911

Full Force 09-30-2006 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by dave911
Yep. Keep your learner boat under 75mph for sure.

Unlike a Gixxer, there are no brakes on a fast boat. Trouble closes in quickly.

Good luck. D911

I agree,water is not as predictable as a road/track!!

gixxerracer 340 09-30-2006 10:09 PM

Where is Sunsation out of?

I looked at the Pantera and the Scarab in the classifieds, both look like nice boats, but I was hoping to get in the high 20- 30' range.

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I will keep reading along whatever is posted.

tony

ratman 10-01-2006 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by gixxerracer 340
Where is Sunsation out of?

I looked at the Pantera and the Scarab in the classifieds, both look like nice boats, but I was hoping to get in the high 20- 30' range.

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I will keep reading along whatever is posted.

tony

keep in mind what it will take to tow what you buy

KAAMA 10-01-2006 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by gixxerracer 340
...I was hoping to get in the high 20- 30' range. tony

Welcome Tony. I don't think buying a twin engine boat with stock or moderate HP for the frist time vs a single engine boat would be too bad of an idea...I have seen people do it many times with these kinds of boats, but I understand what the others are telling you....i. e. the problem is that new/inexperienced owners get a little too confident or cocky with the power/speed and that's when mistakes are made and accidents happen.

Manuvering a dual engine boat will be much easier than a single engine boat especially around other traffic, docking. If money isn't a problem then perhaps a offshore boat driving course would be a good idea. There is a driver's course advertised and offered right here on OSO by Tres Martin that I think would be a wise investment for someone who's just beginning----this is especially true if you're buying a boat with a ventilated hull. And the lessons you get from a saleman are usually not adequate enough with the time that is required to learn properly. There are a lot of boats out there for sale---find a good one! Have fun and be safe! :)

Ratickle 10-01-2006 08:06 AM

I think you should get ahold of the Powerquest owners. The 28 and 29 models may be what you are looking for. I know some go over 80 with decent 540's and you could start with a 65 to 70 with stock 502's. There are several around MI for sale, but I don't know the years that were built the best or handled the best. I also don't know how their step handled vs their non-step.
With the factory leaving us, the prices I've seen have been very decent on what I consider an above average offshore runner.

cosmic12 10-01-2006 08:12 AM

I have a 28 Active Thunder in the classifieds. check it out. It is a true 28 that handles more like a 32. runs in the 70s with a stock 525 but can handle way more power when you are ready and want it. very deep freeboard/ large cabin and has all the bells and whistles. and it is very towable with 1/2 ton truck. good luck. The hunt is 1/2 the fun :cool:

Ratickle 10-01-2006 08:24 AM

The other thing everyone wants to know is your experience. How many years, what model boats, what speeds (I saw the 50), what water conditions, etc. When growing up, I raced bikes (motocross and desert), cars, and "knee-banger" hydros. 70 to 80 offshore in 4 to 6's is totally different. In my 24 it's probably nuts (ask my wife), in the 39 you can still get into a mess in a hurry, and haven't run the 43 step bottom yet but will find out next year.

One friend has a 28 Saber he stuffed and put himself in the hospital with a broken back. After that he bought a 41 Saber, stuffed it and put his co-pilot in for repair when the windscreen broke and hit him in the face. Be careful and read some of the advice on old links about technique and some of the schools. Welcome from all! :D