Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which Poker Runs this year were for Charity ? >

Which Poker Runs this year were for Charity ?

Notices

Which Poker Runs this year were for Charity ?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 162 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Which Poker Runs this year were for Charity ?

Originally Posted by Horseplay
I wonder, how many events were ALL for charity. Not just those with an auction where only those proceeds go to charity.
I could not agree more. I know it costs a lot of money to put on these events but come on people. I'll bet if you polled the people that are in these runs the vast majority would be in favor of a good old fashioned hog roast or or something simple, as long as it is good. I think there is too much spend on trying to out do the other runs on the food end of things and the quality, for the most parts, sucks. I would like to see more of a fun run atmosphere with things a little more laid back. You could have just as much fun, or more, and raise a hell of a lot more money for the charity and I thought that was the reason for the run to start with.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some poker runs, like a lot of the ones the FL powerboat club organize, are businesses, they are well run, and up front about it. No one should find fault with that. There are also a lot of good quality charity runs as well. Both Clubs we belong to are great examples of complete charity runs, ie after expenses everything goes to the charity. The Chicago Powerboat Club supports Childrens Memorial Hospital, and LEOPA supports the Special Olympics, both very good causes.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatfreak28
I could not agree more. I know it costs a lot of money to put on these events but come on people. I'll bet if you polled the people that are in these runs the vast majority would be in favor of a good old fashioned hog roast or or something simple, as long as it is good. I think there is too much spend on trying to out do the other runs on the food end of things and the quality, for the most parts, sucks. I would like to see more of a fun run atmosphere with things a little more laid back. You could have just as much fun, or more, and raise a hell of a lot more money for the charity and I thought that was the reason for the run to start with.

Come on now, if I remember I saw you putting away those premium cocktails at the Chicago Run last year The good news with that run is it was first class yet the charity made off big time, it helps to have good sponsors
Old 10-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 162 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
Come on now, if I remember I saw you putting away those premium cocktails at the Chicago Run last year The good news with that run is it was first class yet the charity made off big time, it helps to have good sponsors
Well I do have to admit I have been known to drink a Crown and Coke from time to time.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
Boyne Thunder in northern Michigan. About 40-45 boats I think. Camp Qualitiy for kids is the charity! Not sure what was raised this year?
They have raised over $140,000 in the last 4 years for kids with cancer
Old 03-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered

SCOPE donated over $20k from the Poker Run to the Friends of the Long Beach Fire Department.

http://scopeinfo.com/images/2008%20M..._4366-1024.jpg
Old 03-07-2008, 10:42 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Shore dreams for kids is not a poker run but orginized by NJPPC
see us at:
www.shoredreamsforkids.org
Shore Dreams For Kids - Featured in Asbury Park Press

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For story click:
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...707220391/1070

SHORE DREAMS FOR KIDS: A day at the bay for friends and fun

THE BRAVE WIN

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 07/22/07
BY HARTRIONO B. SASTROWARDOYO
STAFF WRITER

SEASIDE HEIGHTS — With cars lined up on Bay Boulevard and nary a parking spot to be found, and with the deep rumbling of boat engines in Barnegat Bay, it could have been just another Saturday in a borough known for family fun.

But it wasn't just another day.

The annual Shore Dreams for Kids was held Saturday in the northern section of Seaside Heights. It was a day for about 650 New Jersey Special Olympics athletes, special needs children, and children from the Make-A-Wish Foundation, as well as their families, to enjoy themselves in vintage car rides, a boating trip and a carnival-type event, said David Patnaude of Toms River, Shore Dreams director.

"I liked the tow truck," said Daniel DeAngelis, a 6-year-old from the Ortley Beach section of Toms River.

That tow truck, a 1929 Chevy, was among other vehicles — mostly vintage and antique, but also including a 2008 Ford F-350 pickup truck and a futuristic, orange Lamborghini — parked along Bay Boulevard. In one parking space was a 1939 Mercury sedan, still bearing a "Roosevelt for President" sticker; in another was a 1952 Ford coupe, complete with a tray of faux drive-in food perched on the driver's-side door.

A nearby baseball park was the site of games staffed by members of the Elks' southeast district, including those from the Brick and Jackson posts. Elks members shouted words of encouragement and congratulations, and handed out various prizes. The Characters dished out musical entertainment, while ShopRite provided the food.

"It's really great," said Loren DeAngelis, Daniel's father.

"There's no charge, the kids have fun, and there's lot of prizes," DeAngelis added, shouldering a clear knapsack full of his son's winnings.

But for some, the biggest thrill was the chance to take a ride in a cigarette boat — or a quieter Boston Whaler — courtesy of members of the New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club, of which Patnaude is president. The boats cruised on Barnegat Bay, from the Seaside Heights municipal boat dock, over to Berkeley's Bayville section, before turning around.

"When they come off the boat, they're really excited (from the ride). You can see it in their faces," said 15-year-old Beth Miller of Toms River, a Toms River High School East student and volunteer from the Together Everyone Achieves More peer-leadership program.

Among those who gave rides was Jim Mattera, a Holmdel resident and owner of a cigarette boat.

"Seeing those faces, it's the greatest feeling in the world," he said.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:58 AM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Emerald Coast Poker Run is for the Boys and Girls Club of Okaloosa Island FL., They raise a bunch of $ every year for charity and is one of the best runs in the country. They contracted with Stu to have FPC oversee thr PR part of the Boat Week. Check out their web site.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Registered

I think there are alot of people that would rather do charity runs, should we put up a 2008 charity pokerruns thread?

maybe we can get it posted on top of the forums thread?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tennessee River Rally is a Charity fund raiser. Great Run!!! www.tennesseeriverrally.com

Quick Reply: Which Poker Runs this year were for Charity ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.