Notices

So Bad

Old 10-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question So Bad, Holland MI

Anybody remember a boat in Holland MI named So Bad? It was around 1985 or so. If I remeber correctly it was a Baja. It was all red with the name in white on the side. I can remeber going to Point West for Sunday Brunch and watching that boat accross the lake at Parkside Marina. I think it was owned by Scott Bosgraaf. I'm just curious what happened to it. When I was a kid, I remember it being the hottest boat in Holland. That's the boat that made me want to go fast!

Last edited by MaroonKnighty; 10-04-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Re: So Bad

I spent a lot of time in Holland out on the water that year and never saw it.
Was not a whole lot of performance boats around except for Scarabs and Chris Craft Scorpions .Powerplay slash Powerquests were just entering the scene also..Only time you saw Magnums or Cigarettes was in Saugatuck and those most likely came from Chicago.

I grew up on my dads 48 foot sailboat during the summers starting in Grand Haven in the early 70's.My dad bought a new 26 Monza in i think 72 or 73.Tho only other performance boats around at that time was a another 26 Monza named Plum Crazy with a Baker built motor and Stellings, a 28 cigarette SS at the Holiday Inn that never went out and a 18 Donzi that was yellow with blue stripes named Foxy Lady.Oh ,and a Blue 25 Nova that belonged to my schoolmates dad.Moved the sailboat and the Monza to Holland in 76 and all there was there were Novas and Scarabs

.Anybody remember Van Andels old 38 Scarabs Warp Factor and than the first triple engine i had seen Black Magic?You could here that pig from miles away.

Baddest boat i saw that in 85 in that area was the 36 Cigarette BAM coming out of Saugatuck near sunset heading back towards Chicago.I kept up with him for a few miles in my little 19 Baron than turned back to watch and listen to him go off into the horizon.It was a made for Miami Vice moment.

In 86 i was in Ft Lauderdale walking around the bars down by the intercoastal latenight with some girl i just met and i hear a badazz boat ideling up the intercoastal, and out of the dark comes BAM. Made my night, i love that boat,Any body hear if their getting it back together?

Last edited by tommymonza; 10-04-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Registered

Did this Scott work at Parkside Marina and have a Nova before this Baja?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure Marc at BAM Marine is working on it in his spare time. Check out the restoration at www.gofast.com
Old 10-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Registered

Link does not work.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Tommy, Try this link http://www.go-fast.com/36_cigarette.htm
Old 10-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

And these
http://www.go-fast.com/bam,_the_project.htm
http://www.go-fast.com/bam_project_1.htm
http://www.go-fast.com/the_second_time.htm
Old 10-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My parents used to keep their boat at Parkside Marina where "Soo Bad" was docked. You are correct in recalling that it was owned by Scott Bosgraaf, I think that he was one of the owners of Parkside. It was a Sonic with Hawk engines and Kaama surface drives.

The DNR wasn't letting Parkside dredge so Scott backed "Soo Bad" in tied some lines from the transom to the shore and used the prop wash to blow out the sand from the slips near the shore. He must've had a mini beach inside his sea-strainers after that. And I remember seeing some nicks in the cleavers when it was halued out that year.

"Soo Bad" was originally red and white but the last time I saw it it had been repainted.

- Jeff
Old 10-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

It's a SONIC, it was later painted just like my 41 APACHE ALLEZ VITE. Mrs. Blow owned Parkside marina, maybe still does, the Sonic is still around and owned by a couple of guys that where going to put it back togher, I play cards with one of them from time to time.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, I always loved that boat. Elaine Blauw still ownes Parkside. I spent my summers in High School pumping gas there. I still think that was the best job I've ever had and Elaine was a great boss.

Quick Reply: So Bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.