Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
why all the Baja questions??? >

why all the Baja questions???

Notices

why all the Baja questions???

Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: why all the Baja questions???

As far as why boats get compared to Bajas I think it's because Bajas are less expensive and easier to find.

I will admit I used to make jabs at Bajas because they were a "cookie cutter" boat. Maybe their quality is a little lower than some of the custom boats. Maybe their rigging isn't the best. But it's a production line boat that can be bought for a decent price(at least they used to be!). For the average guy out there a Baja will probably get the job done and do it well.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anything that floats is fun for me
Old 10-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Registered

I don't mean to criticize anyone about their choice of boat. If you own a Baja, it suits your needs, and you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

I own a Fountain. There are certainly many compromises involved in owning a Fountain, and I probably won't buy another one. The beak just cuts out a lot of cabin space. I want more cabin space, for the way I use my boat. So next time around it'll probably be a Cigarette, maybe a Formula. Of course budget will determine vintage, as it did with my last purchase.

But, rigging and vinyl work aside, the basic construction of a Baja is just not as strong as many other brand out there. The older Baja's i've seen around here are all beat to hell, with a lot of stress cracks and outright fiberglass damage. On Lake St. Clair, you don't get big rollers like you do on the ocean, you get a washing machine from hell. If there are 4 footers out there they might be on an 8' wavelength, tops. It's all chop. Boats get beaten up. I see new Baja's out there, but they seem to dissappear after awhile, you don't see nearly as many older Baja's as you do newer ones. They're all at earl the pearls being parted out because the hull is ****ed. Conversely, you see older Fountains all over the place. Very few "big dollar" boats around here, I saw 1 OL and maybe 2 new Cigs all summer. There's a small Spectre down the canal from me. All the other go-fasts are Fountains, Formulas, or less than 5 years old.

Most of you with Baja's probably spent more than me. I'm not trying to be all "holier than thou" or any crap like that. Hell, i'm driving a $35k boat, probably one of the cheaper boats on this site. If you like your boat, enjoy it, and don't worry about what other people say. But if someone asks a question about the difference between a Baja and a Fountain, I'm going to pipe in with the quality issue, because there's a difference and it's real. If i didn't know crap about boats, and i was shopping for my first boat, i'd expect the same honesty. If someone knows enough about boats to know what the good brands are and what the lower quality brands are, I'd want to know.

If your landlubber buddy hit the lotto and was comparing, say, a Bayliner to a Formula, would you bite your tongue and let him buy the Bayliner? I hope not.

Last edited by sleeper_dave; 10-12-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
If your landlubber buddy hit the lotto and was comparing, say, a Bayliner to a Formula, would you bite your tongue and let him buy the Bayliner? I hope not.
Why not?
If he was pleased with his choice, why was he wrong?
Old 10-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Registered

I still don't think any one has answered the question but alot of info has been exchanged and that is a good thing. as far as quality between all the different brands? Well all I can say is that I have learned through my years is the less you know about layup and rigging or all the componets that are used THE HAPPIER YOU CAN BE WITH WHATEVER YOU HAVE So don't fret the little stuff and just have fun and be safe
Old 10-12-2006, 04:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

I just wish that the Brunswick products
attached to the rear end of my current Brunswick
company boat, were as trouble free as the boat
has been.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cosmic12
I still don't think any one has answered the question but alot of info has been exchanged and that is a good thing. as far as quality between all the different brands? Well all I can say is that I have learned through my years is the less you know about layup and rigging or all the componets that are used THE HAPPIER YOU CAN BE WITH WHATEVER YOU HAVE So don't fret the little stuff and just have fun and be safe
Plus their the only "go fast" boats in our syracuse boatshow the past 2years...............someone bring some others besides deckboats and pontoons , guess I'll just have to go to a real show
Old 10-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
I just wish that the Brunswick products
attached to the rear end of my current Brunswick
company boat, were as trouble free as the boat
has been.

brunswick makes a great pool table...
Old 10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by camptappakeg69
Plus their the only "go fast" boats in our syracuse boatshow the past 2years...............someone bring some others besides deckboats and pontoons , guess I'll just have to go to a real show
I am going to the Lauderdale show at the end of the month I brought Nordic to the syr show a few years ago, I think that was the last year of the good shows, Last year for boathouse marine also.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cosmic12
I am going to the Lauderdale show at the end of the month I brought Nordic to the syr show a few years ago, I think that was the last year of the good shows, Last year for boathouse marine also.

Used to look forward to going everyyear, probably not going this year(syr), think I remember some sunnies, and the checkmates. Don't remember the Nordics though,but dont' really have to much memory left

How can I get dates for fla shows, have relatives in St .pete

could time some visits properly next year.........

Quick Reply: why all the Baja questions???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.