Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   why all the Baja questions??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/142189-why-all-baja-questions.html)

sakoutis3 10-07-2006 08:20 AM

Re: why all the Baja questions???

Originally Posted by cosmic12
whats up with all the comparing this or that to Bajas lately?

Maybe they're thinkin about buyin stock in the company. :cool:

Racegirl3 10-07-2006 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Donzilla
RG ain't kidding :D

Thank you! :drink: :cool: :D

bouyhunter 10-07-2006 08:30 AM

Damn, I guess I took some heat last nite.
Let me adress the questions:
No, there is no big water in Kentucky. I was Re-(mis)-located here.
I grew up on Lake Erie, started boating at age 10, and have over 25 yrs experience in "big" water.
RG isn't kidding about 5-8's, I've been out on Erie in worse than that. And yes, a 5' wave means a 10' hole, a 8' means a 16' hole.
The way the waves usually stagger, you try to run in the trough of the waves, you can only do this for a set of about 3-4 waves, before you hit a wall with no place else to go but over (through) the wave. RG - is this about what you're speaking of??

And No, I haven't bought another boat yet - thanks for salt in the wounds...
I'm working on it, just having a hard time putting together the scratch. Everytime I turn around something else takes a bite outta the wallet.

I'm not bashing Baja at all - and I hope I didn't come off that way. I thought I was pretty clear. They are a good boat, for what they are.
They certainly aren't a Cigarette, Pantera, Saber, *insert choice here*...
When I said true offshore, what I mean is something that is out there to handle the rough, and ready to race to Nassau.
Baja seems like something very pretty, and looks great pulling into the docks at a restaurant - but to go out and run hard, it's not my first choice.

Racegirl3 10-07-2006 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
And yes, a 5' wave means a 10' hole, a 8' means a 16' hole.
The way the waves usually stagger, you try to run in the trough of the waves, you can only do this for a set of about 3-4 waves, before you hit a wall with no place else to go but over (through) the wave. RG - is this about what you're speaking of??

That sounds about right :D

bouyhunter 10-07-2006 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
That sounds about right :D

running through that crap just to get to PIB, soaked down to my skivvies from the every 4th wave coming straight over the bow...
Damn, what you won't do just for a party at the Island...
:D

Tricky919 10-07-2006 09:06 AM

Nobody's ? there are 5 to 8's on Lake Erie.

Indy 10-07-2006 09:19 AM

There's been alot of BS talk about Bajas/Fountains etc without anybody backing up what they say. Somebody says they saw stress cracks on a Baja, big deal, it's hard to find a boat that was used offshore that doesn't have them. For you Baja bashers stating that you don't think they hold up...why?? Give us some details, what is the type of fiberglass mat used, what type of core, type of resins, hand laid, vacuum bagged, gel resin, stringer make-up, transom material, deck/hull joint bonding, blah blah blah. How does it compare to Fountain? Lots of BS here but no substance from these people. Personally, I've never been on a Baja or poked around one, I'm curious about their construction techniques.

JTB 10-07-2006 09:35 AM

"They are a good boat, for what they are."

Isnt that like telling a goodlooking woman with two kids that she is a goodlooking woman for having two kids.......Why cant she just be a goodlooking woman??? Just my .2 cents....

TEAMBAJA 10-07-2006 09:41 AM

Ok, here's the real story about yesterday and the 5 to 8's.

I was out endurance testing the new BAJA 277 Islander and the conditions were horrible. Knowing Dawn (Racegirl) was probably sitting in front of a computer, I called her for a lake report and the national weather service were reporting 5-8' for my area. It seemed much bigger, but see bouyhunters last post about big water and the holes. He definately has an accurate description. I was out for around 6 hours yesterday, taking a short break to run in the Sandusky Bay which was still choppy, but more realistic to run in.

However, when I decided to hang it up for the day, I had to go back through the big stuff. When I got back to the worst area (near the lighthouse in Marblehead, anyone that knows this area knows what Im talking about. Tell em RHC! :D ) I was hitting it head on and put the bow straight into one which gave me a nice 1' wall of water straight through the boat. So I started running over them diagonally and could actually ride a single wave down the backside for a long way. The whole way back I kept thinking it should be the next X-Games event, because I felt like a skateboarder on a halfpipe! :D

bouyhunter 10-07-2006 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JTB
"They are a good boat, for what they are."

Isnt that like telling a goodlooking woman with two kids that she is a goodlooking woman for having two kids.......Why cant she just be a goodlooking woman??? Just my .2 cents....

Yeah, I guess it is. And you just leave that last part out, you think it, but you don't say it.

Are you saying that a Baja look's like a woman that has had two kid's??

I already said I like Baja's, it's just not my choice for how I like to boat.