Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   why all the Baja questions??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/142189-why-all-baja-questions.html)

Lucky Devil 10-07-2006 09:52 AM

Re: why all the Baja questions???

Originally Posted by Sea-Dated
I think, in my biased opinion, that they are compared to everything because they are a more affordable alternative to the other name brand boats.

From a total noob
<------

I am interested in a Baja24-29 for this reason. Financially I would not even be able to consider any of the "big dogs" but with a solid plan I can have the cash to buy a used Baja by this time next year. They are sharp looking boats, and I do not plan on running in any major heavy seas. For me it will be cruising up and down the gulf and tampa bay.

just my $.02

PurpleStuff 10-07-2006 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tricky919
I really want to learn what the hell people are talking about when they say 5 to 8's........ Or better yet i want to see what they call 5 to 8's

is it possible for a 22 to be in those conditions? i sure wouldnt do it...

JTB 10-07-2006 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Yeah, I guess it is. And you just leave that last part out, you think it, but you don't say it.

Are you saying that a Baja look's like a woman that has had two kid's??

I already said I like Baja's, it's just not my choice for how I like to boat.

Not saying anything, just using that as an example.

bouyhunter 10-07-2006 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by JTB
Not saying anything, just using that as an example.

Point, and Counterpoint.

birdog 10-07-2006 10:33 AM

I have run the Ocean, The Gulf and Lake Erie....Erie is nothing to sneeze at !...Short,steep,confused..It will make you wonder what the h*ll am i doing out here ?!...
Funny thing..when-ever I am out in bad Erie water I still see Bajas out there running. Not sure what that means tho... :D

bouyhunter 10-07-2006 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Devil
From a total noob
<------

I am interested in a Baja24-29 for this reason. Financially I would not even be able to consider any of the "big dogs" but with a solid plan I can have the cash to buy a used Baja by this time next year. They are sharp looking boats, and I do not plan on running in any major heavy seas. For me it will be cruising up and down the gulf and tampa bay.

just my $.02

This, is then the PERFECT boat for you.
Something to get you started on the water (or maybe you have experience (?)), relatively inexpensive, and a chance to learn for a few years about what you like and don't like about the boat. You'll still look good docking up at the restaurant and impress your friends (if that's your thing). Baja was a good entry level for me. It taught me alot.
I don't have the scratch to run with the big dog's either, but I know I know what I can afford, and I'm holding out for the type of boat I like to run. In the meantime I'll just keep mooching rides...
It's a good boat, it's just not what I'm after next time around
:D

Lucky Devil 10-07-2006 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
This, is then the PERFECT boat for you.
Something to get you started on the water (or maybe you have experience (?)), relatively inexpensive, and a chance to learn for a few years about what you like and don't like about the boat. You'll still look good docking up at the restaurant and impress your friends (if that's your thing). Baja was a good entry level for me. It taught me alot.
I don't have the scratch to run with the big dog's either, but I know I know what I can afford, and I'm holding out for the type of boat I like to run. In the meantime I'll just keep mooching rides...
It's a good boat, it's just not what I'm after next time around
:D

I have a small center console (cheap with less than 5K invested, and nothing fast - about 45mph), and I grew up boating in Jax, FL and Seattle, WA. I have a fairly good idea of what I want. I do feel that it is a great option. I keep seeing 24-25 Outlaw SSTs for about 30-35K which is my goal.

TEAMBAJA 10-07-2006 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by birdog
Funny thing..when-ever I am out in bad Erie water I still see Bajas out there running. Not sure what that means tho... :D

The factory must be close by! :drink:

Zudnic 10-07-2006 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleStuff
is it possible for a 22 to be in those conditions? i sure wouldnt do it...

Depends on the 22, I ran my Whaler cuddy in stuff like that and have no problem doing it again if I still had it............

My old neighbors recently sold their 32 Baja that they owned since 1985. My Dad had just sold our Silverline 19' cuddy and I was trying to talk him into either a Baja or Donzi 22 classic and he saw the Whaler and bought it!!!! I took over the Whaler but secretly wished it was at least the Baja......... :cool:

camptappakeg69 10-07-2006 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
:rolleyes: You guys ever hear of the Edmond Fitzgerald? :p

On that particular ride over to the islands in the 22 Baja, the boat was landing in holes with waves going over me (on the port side) and crashing over the captain. We dont have rollers. If you've never boated on Lake Erie, then you really have no idea, and if you have, then you know exactly what Im talking about. :cool:

And the 5s to 8s is what the national weather service was calling them yesterday ... I didnt see them so I cant confer ... but Im guessin they would know :D

Rg3, know what ya mean, seen some pretty nasty stuff on the east end of lake ontario, wouldn't want to be in any boat when its over 4'. been stuck coming across our bay 4-6's and it seems like an eternity, comes up fast and seems like out of nowhere sometimes. try to be sittin on the porch watchin the spray hit the windows when its like that :drink: