Performance Boating school

Notices

Performance Boating school

Old 10-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Performance Boating school

Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
One can learn a lot just from listening to those whom have done!
I have seen many people who chose not to take the time to listen at all, and a few of those have ended up wet or even hurt.

These new classes are designed to teach through example. Allowing the students to sit, watch, listen and learn as opposed to attempt to control and learn at the same time.
I hold a commercial Pilots licences with some respectable endorsements behind it. I have learned the most from classrooms and cockpit example type teaching, i.e., an instrucor flying while explaining what the situation is and what he/she is doing to controll or correct it. Sure its more fun to drive the vehicle yourself, but that limits the amount of learning while controlling.
Let the instructor teach as you learn, and then go teach yourself as applied knowladge in your own boat in safe conditions. This creates a safer more knowladgable driver... and than is the point of taking these courses
(I would think).

I am pushing the idea of people taking these classes when they purchase boats from my showroom. They are great for our entire industry.

I used to have a CFI certificate. Demonstrating is a great way of teaching. The student needs to also have Dual Given in his own Aircraft, or Boat, to get familiar with the idiosyncrasies of that equipment. Classroom and observation are really only the first part of training. An instructor in your own boat should follow.

John
Old 10-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tres
At the end of the day, too many say I already know how to drive. I dont need school. Just as I thought before I took motorcycle safety course.
That certainly was never my attitude towards any course I took electively or required.

And you didn't really answer my question, how are other types of motorsports able to provide hands on training but the boating industry can not? Or is it chooses not to?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Registered

Having taken Tres class in April I can say to me it was well worth it for me.
I contacted Tres about doing a class in Wa., found some other boaters in the area looking to take the class, and offered my boat up for the class. Not only did I learn many things that I didn't know about the handling charactoristics of stepped hulls, and cats, But I watched Tres apply these principles in MY boat.
After the class Tres made some observations about the handling charactoristis of my boat, helped me with a few minor set up changes, and now it rides like a totaly different boat.
In the past when I got to about 87 mph, it was a white knuckle ride, that would force you to slow, or trim in after about 15 seconds. Now I'm cruising at 90mph as long as I want, with best speed to date of 92mph.
The knowledge I learned in the class was well worth the money. Having Tres help with the set up of my boat was a added bonus, that far exceeds the price of his class.
Until you take the class don't knock it, and if you looking for more personal instructions in your boat, offer it up for a class, or see if you can hire Tres for a one on one class. I'm sure anything is possible for the right price.

Thanks Tres for a safe and fun boating season.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
That certainly was never my attitude towards any course I took electively or required.

And you didn't really answer my question, how are other types of motorsports able to provide hands on training but the boating industry can not? Or is it chooses not to?
Think of the logistics and costs involved compared to the other forms of motorsports. I've learned a ton by listen to and watching an experienced driver and then going out and practicing what I see and hear on my own. I would not want to jepordize someone else or their property while I'm learning where the edge is on operating a powerboat. I fully understand and back Tres position on this topic.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by NASCAT

Never said that was your additude and sorry if you took it that way. You spin out a car, it still there. You drop a bike , its still there. You spin a boat, more than likely it sinks and people get serious injuries because you cannot wear restaint harness. cost of boat replacemant far exceeds car or bike replacement. Insurance for those companies is likely very high. In our case for boats if we tried to do that , No company would even entertain insuring you.Furthermore the fees for raising the sunk vessel and possible eviorment issues such as oil and fuel floating in the water. Besides, the cars and bikes over the years cannot travel any faster on the road ways because of speed limits. On the other hand boats can travel at unrestricted speeds, so in the quest for speed on hull designs, the handling today is comprimised. the boats today take much more skill to operate. In the real world, it is easy to get into trouble with todays boats , but not in today cars because they handle so well.

Last edited by Tres; 10-11-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Registered

I understand where Tres is at. He knows all the facts in dealing with a Perf. school.

I have not heard anyone that took his class say it wasn't worth it. Maybe there are a few but you can't please everyone.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Registered

Everyone so far has been very pleased. Check out the new issue of Speddboat Mag.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been thinking about this.Yes you can drive the car at a racing school..but most people have a least a few years driving experience before they go.A high performance boat is not like driving a car its probably closer to flying a plane
Lets give Tres a break on this.And Tres do you know if Total Dollar insurance extends any discount if you class is taken.??
Old 10-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Registered

Guys,

Anything is insurable (almost). It's just a matter of the premium you're willing to pay. When Wellcraft ran its high-performance driving school with 33 Scarabs, I think the cost of the course was about $8,000 per person. ( I recall reading articles on it in Poker Runs America and Powerboat.) Granted, that included lodging and meals, but the course ran, if I recall, five days. Do the math and anyway you look at it, it ain't cheap.

I'm guessing that Wellcraft barely, and I mean barely, covered its costs. I'm also guessing that a lot of those costs were related to insurance. Ultimately, the course failed and was discontinued. They couldn't get enough people to do it. It wasn't for lack of teaching talent, that's for sure. Maybe it had something to do with cost.

Could Tres get that kind of insurance? Maybe he could, but the costs would be ludicrous (and he isn't Wellcraft). So he does what he does, very well, in his boat at the wheel, and then works with drivers in their own boats with them at the wheel, if I'm reading this right.

It sure seems to me that a lot of people are satisfied with what they got for whatever Tres' course cost. And from what they're saying, they're better drivers for it. Can't argue with that.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 100-Plus
Guys,

Anything is insurable (almost). It's just a matter of the premium you're willing to pay. When Wellcraft ran its high-performance driving school with 33 Scarabs, I think the cost of the course was about $8,000 per person. ( I recall reading articles on it in Poker Runs America and Powerboat.) Granted, that included lodging and meals, but the course ran, if I recall, five days. Do the math and anyway you look at it, it ain't cheap.

I'm guessing that Wellcraft barely, and I mean barely, covered its costs. I'm also guessing that a lot of those costs were related to insurance. Ultimately, the course failed and was discontinued. They couldn't get enough people to do it. It wasn't for lack of teaching talent, that's for sure. Maybe it had something to do with cost.

Could Tres get that kind of insurance? Maybe he could, but the costs would be ludicrous (and he isn't Wellcraft). So he does what he does, very well, in his boat at the wheel, and then works with drivers in their own boats with them at the wheel, if I'm reading this right.

It sure seems to me that a lot of people are satisfied with what they got for whatever Tres' course cost. And from what they're saying, they're better drivers for it. Can't argue with that.
Thanks for the support. I just dont want to see powerboating become a thing we used to do. Its in big trouble right now, and many just dont know it. Each person that makes his way through our course, we feel thats one more out there doing it right.

Quick Reply: Performance Boating school

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.