Performance Boating school >

Performance Boating school

Notices

Performance Boating school

Old 10-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Boating school

I was looking at one of the performance boating school links and saw that at no time would a student be allowed to drive a boat because of insurance reasons. My questions is are there any schools out there that allow the students to apply what they learn under the direction of a teacher. I know boating can be dangerous but you can pay 1600.00 dollars and go to a 2 day course to run a comp or super gas car running 8.90 over 130 mph. Just curious
K
Old 10-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Registered

Default Re: Performance Boating school

Different deal. cars dont sink.Just think, your a teacher and you allow one student to drive your boat, he quickly cuts the wheel all the way at 80 MPH, you and the student get tossed with injuries, your only school boat gets the drives ripped off the back and the side of the boat caves in,class is over, and so is the possibly of getting liability insurance. Not mention you cant teach class without your boat, if you ever come out that coma and fuild in your lungs, and if you do, his wifes Attorney is waiting to serve for the loss of her husband. Gee whiz. I wish it was easy but its not. I conducted class today and They will be on the water tommorrow.Ask them how they like the class.www.performanceboatschool.com
Old 10-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this one www.rossoffshoreracing.com. I talked to them down at the Fountain race and I think they do training in your boat.I understand Tres feelings though but sometimes its hard to learn without doing.I was fortunate to have a Friend who has raced and been around boats all his life take me out in his boat.He did let me run it and I learned a lot.
He also taught me the theory behind how stepped-hulls work which is extremely important Good Luck
Old 10-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Registered

I allow them to run their boat in a after class secsion but never with other students aboard.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered

I was just curious about the diffrent liabilities. I found out that some of the drag racing schools the student would be responsible to damage done to car or motor depending on the situation. Wasnt trying to knock anything just was curious
k
Old 10-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Registered

I've asked this same question, and have been somewhat suprised at the answer myself.

It seems a ridiculous way of teaching, more so when you see that the class is sometimes run on a lake.

How do you guys learn to drive a car? Do you sit next to the instructor with him showing you the correct way to drive, and then only get behind the wheel after you've passed the test, probably not I reckon.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a lot of us that have run in the ocean and have a pretty good idea how to handle their boat. But it's nice to hear the way a professional would handle the waves and the boat. I could learn a lot just sitting and listening while someone else piloted the boat.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally I believe there is value in both class & practical instruction.

I've not attempted to start a boating school nor secure liability insurance for one but there are plenty of drag racing, road racing & oval track schools out there for both cars & motorcycles that have students & instructers on the track at the same time w/ as much or more at risk since a racetrack is much smaller arena to operate in than the open water.

It's Tres Martin's school so they can run it how they see fit but I would be very interested in a high perf boating school that offered practical experience too.

Just my $.02!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:54 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys,

The school curriculum is using the most efficient instructional methods to achieve the desire outcomes. It isn’t about running it as we see fit but more about finding a practical way to transfer needed knowledge to performance boat owners.

The ability to find appropriate insurance is and will continue to be difficult. Notice I said appropriate… Having the instructors and all the students as named insured is as I’m sure you could imagine not practical or attainable.

The bottom line is the students are leaving the current course with some extremely powerful skills to which they can employ on their own in appropriate settings and times. The course critiques continue to be amazing, ask anyone who has attended for their first hand opinion.

I would go on to tell you, as a person who has and continues to instruct students both in vessel operation and vessel inspection there are other individuals who poses the skill sets required to operate performance boats, but only one I know of who has the presence, dedication, and proper motivation to transfer that knowledge to others.

I have done performance based training at just about every Coast Guard School there is including advanced ship simulators and it was the demonstration of proper skills I walked any with and then employed and practiced upon my return to my duty station which improved by ability. If I kept driving a motorlife boat like I did at Lifeboat School in Ilwaco I would have killed someone.

The lake environment offers a completely accessible and better controlled operating environment than a crowded open ocean with complications of weather and rough inlets. Additionaly this is not meant to be drivers- ed but more advanced skill training. Sure there are new boaters coming but if you want basic training then we highly encourage everyone to take a local boating safety course offered at low or no charge, they will teach basic safety, operation, and how to tie lines.

Brad Schoenwald

Last edited by bcschoe; 10-09-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcschoe
The lake environment offers a completely accessible and better controlled operating environment than a crowded open ocean

Maybe a calmer environment, but better controlled than "crowded" "open" ocean...... ya lost me for a second. never associated the open ocean as crowded.

I agree condition wise though.

Quick Reply: Performance Boating school

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.