Notices

Cat cruising sweet spot??

Old 10-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat cruising sweet spot??

let me bounce this off you guys to make sure my head is kinda screwed on straight

My new to me 30' Daytona has mild power- 496 HO's- it'll stay that way for a while, messing with setup over the winter (1" imco lower and whatever 5 blades it likes-this alone should drop rpm some as it'll run 5100 easy now).

I spend a lot of time at cruise- easy 40 miles per outing as most of my buds hang out north on the lake. at about 60-65mph depending on conditions, you can really feel the hull release and pickup speed and rpm without moving the sticks, but with my 1.5 gear and current 30" bravo's this leaves me near 4k for cruise rpm- about 500 higher than I prefer.

Seems like it would still be the lesser of the evils though cause I'd be working the engines harder at 3500 if the hull were still stuck- make sense? I'm thinking the overall load/fuel burn is best right at or just above where the hull is happy/released- comments?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cat cruising sweet spot??

I think you should put on some whipples, get the bugs worked out and sell it to me.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cat cruising sweet spot??

Originally Posted by Cattitude
let me bounce this off you guys to make sure my head is kinda screwed on straight

My new to me 30' Daytona has mild power- 496 HO's- it'll stay that way for a while, messing with setup over the winter (1" imco lower and whatever 5 blades it likes-this alone should drop rpm some as it'll run 5100 easy now).

I spend a lot of time at cruise- easy 40 miles per outing as most of my buds hang out north on the lake. at about 60-65mph depending on conditions, you can really feel the hull release and pickup speed and rpm without moving the sticks, but with my 1.5 gear and current 30" bravo's this leaves me near 4k for cruise rpm- about 500 higher than I prefer.

Seems like it would still be the lesser of the evils though cause I'd be working the engines harder at 3500 if the hull were still stuck- make sense? I'm thinking the overall load/fuel burn is best right at or just above where the hull is happy/released- comments?
Catt..... I'd agree with you and drive where the speed where the boat seems "happiest". We have the Smartcraft system on our 26' Daytona and the fuel burn is the same, or worse at 55 than it is at 80----when the hull picks up. 4500 gets around 55-60 and 5k nets 80. Getting that hull unstuck from the water is key.

CC