active thunder vs. outerlimits >

active thunder vs. outerlimits

Notices

active thunder vs. outerlimits

Old 10-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: active thunder vs. outerlimits

I have never been in a V-hull that was squirley in the 70's??? Dont they all ride well at those speeds??

To answer the question all of the 37 AT I have seen in person have been very nice looking boats.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrash
Planing hull design is a fairly black art, but I'd be surprised if one step resulted in bad handling. Steps have been around for over a hundred years, and single steps are the most stable.

The big double step of the big Fountains are kinda a special optimization (increases aspect ratio of lifting surface while still giving focused lift just forward of CG like a proper single step).

The reason the Skater V hulls are faster is due to stiffer construction, not design. The Skater design is clearly worse, as are the other way-too-many-step designs like the newer OL. If it was better, you'd see it in the Kilo records.

How many airplanes do you see with more than 2 foils? Each step is like another lifting surface (foil). If it was better, we'd see planes with a series of wings sticking out the sides. Its not better, its far, far worse.

Early stepped hulls (used to be called hydroplanes) sometimes had as many steps as OLs, and were called shingled hulls. They sucked severely. They porpoised, bucked, spun. Kinda like OLs today. The ones that worked best had one step.

One day, someone built a boat where the front step was split, put on each side, and the modern three point hydroplane appeared, and still dominates today.

What's the fastest single engine V hull ever tested by any boating Magazine? Howard Bullet. Single step. Handles perfectly by all accounts.

You obviosly don't have a clue what your talking about. My O/lL never porpoised, bucked or spun. Did you ever drive one or do you just like bashing brands.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:58 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pat took me for a ride in a 37 with HP525,s during the 06 Miami Boat Show. WOT and crank the wheel hard over in either direction in 2-4 seas and the boat rides like it is on rails. I was very impressed. About like the O/L 37 single step I rode in @ Miami several years ago. I would not hesitate to really research the AT. For the money I do not think you can beat this all around package. Joe Murray
Old 10-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to mention the cost difference... The 37 AT is about as custom a ride as you can get, and for what - a little more than 1/2 that of what a 39 OL will run you? Both great boats, but hard to overlook how much fuel and fun a couple hundred grand (or more) will buy you!?

And I don't think you're giving up anything going to the AT, maybe even gaining a bit based on some of the comments above?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Registered

you really shoud do yourself a favor and go to the shop see Pat and look them over, you will not believe what you can get for alot less coin than a OL/CIG/ NT will cost you. Like it was said above you won't be giving anything up and probly gaining in the long run.These guys are doing some freat things these days and the well kept Active Thunder secret is getting out fast.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Registered

Does the AT have a microwave oven? That's worth $100K right there!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by f311fr1
Pat took me for a ride in a 37 with HP525,s during the 06 Miami Boat Show. WOT and crank the wheel hard over in either direction in 2-4 seas and the boat rides like it is on rails. I was very impressed. About like the O/L 37 single step I rode in @ Miami several years ago. I would not hesitate to really research the AT. For the money I do not think you can beat this all around package. Joe Murray
That boat is for sale right here, but I know of at least one OSO'er who on it like stink on tuna.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-12388.html

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Does the AT have a microwave oven? That's worth $100K right there!
Yes.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-10-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
You obviosly don't have a clue what your talking about. My O/lL never porpoised, bucked or spun. Did you ever drive one or do you just like bashing brands.
Right. Never happened:
http://media.putfile.com/OL50_spin

Note the chine walk first.

I don't have anything against OL -- they are well built boats. Badly designed, like nearly all boats, but well built boats.

Don't feel bad or like this is an OL only thing. This has been happening to multi-step boats for as long as there have been multi-step boats: nearly a hundred years now. Its not a new phenomenon. It pre-dates the Internet, so its not like you can easily google for it.

And if you've only been boating for a few years and so you think any of this stuff is new, don't feel bad either. All of us were novices before we developed a clue.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
Ya no kidding!! And trust me the skater vees are NOT poorly designed!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Registered

WoW!!! never saw that before. that was a bad day. When I picking up my 28 A.T. Pat took a buddy of mine out for a ride in a 37 and when he got back all he said was amazing and that it was very rough seas and the boat was perfect. And this is coming from a devoute Fountian guy.

Quick Reply: active thunder vs. outerlimits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.