Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Skater vs Gladiator (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/142538-skater-vs-gladiator.html)

dreamboater 10-13-2006 08:56 AM

Re: Skater vs Gladiator

Also, Motion and Spectre build just about identical boats. The decks are a little different, other than that they are pretty much the same boat. Whats ridiculous is you can buy a 21 Eliminator with twin 2.5's that will run over 120, that seems just about as dangerous as a 28 Skater running 120. I would rather be in the true tunnel design. And from what I know, its really all cats when you are dealing with a reputable insurance company. They dont care if its an Eliminator or another brand.

ktron 10-13-2006 09:19 AM

Any word if insurance is any cheaper if the boat is not a true Cat? i.e. Eliminator, DCB, etc...

Brad Zastrow 10-13-2006 01:06 PM

Your driving experience, horsepower, size, value, credit history, auto record will have a bigger effect. I would not go with the center pod cat boat if speeds of over 120 are planned. There is a difference.
I would not recommend a cat with bravos at any kind of high speed. Prone to breaking unless your are going to only run 500hp.

bidpro 10-13-2006 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
I know what your saying. But I think another factor is brand. The insurance companies always say buy an Eliminator. Ive gotten pretty reasonable quotes on Eliminator and Motions, but not spectres nor Skaters. Im not trying to be negative or anything, but Spectre and Skater have killed people where as motion and eliminator haven't. My dads the one getting insurance. Im only 17 yrs old.

"Spectre and Skater have killed people"...

Wow, what an incredibly short sighted statement...

Do Gun's Kill people?, how about Cigrettes (not the boat), do they kill people?.

I donlt know about the rest of you but so far, my Boat has never made a open, public threat to kill me... now there have been times when it has "pushed back"... but only as result of MY behavior, not its behavior...

Gregg Reichman

T2x 10-13-2006 01:33 PM

One key question here is....Which 32' Skater?

The old, low freeboard, "classic"...designed in 1986?

or the new high freeboard model.....designed in 2000 or so?

These boats are very different..the new one has much better forward entry.... and is a bigger all around package.

The 6 drive on the new 32 is no issue at all.

Skip the Bravos...and the Arnesons.

Go with the 6's...or the new 700 MC's.

As to the insurance issue, I can't imagine that Eliminators or any other cat are rated below a Skater..... It simply makes no sense, as there is no underlying safety quality, that justifies a difference. Perhaps Spectre and Motion sales numbers have been so much smaller and there have been far fewer high powered packages from these two manufacturers..which has kept them off the underwriter's radar screens.

Sadly, the mad dash toward mega power plants (1200 and above)...and turbines.... have raised the risk level on cats. In this case it is the speed advantage that cats enjoy over vees that has come back to bite. 130+ mph is rare air and there just aren't anywhere near as many qualified drivers...as there are owners of these rocketships.

If all performance hulls were limited (by the industry) to say 2x575 hp up to 35', 2x750 hp up to 40', 2x900 up to 45' and 2x1100 up to 50'...the game, (safety and insurance costs) might change dramatically.

Just my .02

T2x

OL40SVX 10-13-2006 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by bidpro
"Spectre and Skater have killed people"...

Wow, what an incredibly short sighted statement...

Do Gun's Kill people?, how about Cigrettes (not the boat), do they kill people?.

I donlt know about the rest of you but so far, my Boat has never made a open, public threat to kill me... now there have been times when it has "pushed back"... but only as result of MY behavior, not its behavior...

Gregg Reichman

Plenty of vee's have been in accidents and unfortunately hurt people. I was just talking insurance wise. You can get hurt in any boat. All it takes is the right idiot and money and anything can happen.

Airpacker 10-13-2006 01:42 PM

I bet a 32 with 525's and black hawks would make a pretty nice package.

OL40SVX 10-13-2006 01:43 PM

T2x,
The boat is the newer B style with 500's and xr's. I think its a 2001. Im not looking for a brand new boat. Thats alot of coin. Were looking for something that can run around 105-110 mph and have a stable ride. Not looking for 130+mph boats. That why I couldnt believe how much more the skater was for insurance and it only ran 100. I think we got a quote for a 35 motion with 500's for $5000 and a 36 eliminator with 525's was around the same. All fairly new boats.

T2x 10-13-2006 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
T2x,
The boat is the newer B style with 500's and xr's. I think its a 2001. Im not looking for a brand new boat. Thats alot of coin. Were looking for something that can run around 105-110 mph and have a stable ride. .

That 32...will run with your Gladiator..in damn near any conditions...and walk away from it in a mixed slop.....

You'll love it.

If you get an educated insurer, the rates should be okay...but I'm paying $2500..for a 28 Skater outboard...... and that seems fair to me...so what do I know?

T2x

OL40SVX 10-13-2006 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
That 32...will run with your Gladiator..in damn near any conditions...and walk away from it in a mixed slop.....

You'll love it.

If you get an educated insurer, the rates should be okay...but I'm paying $2500..for a 28 Skater outboard...... and that seems fair to me...so what do I know?

T2x

Thanks for the info!!!