Notices

Wesco does it again!!!!

Old 10-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: Wesco does it again!!!!

Yeah Congrats on the twins Glenn...it's Halloween with the Great Pumpkin engines! Being that I only live about 7 miles away, Glenn asked me to chime in so, I stopped by Dave's shop and snapped these pictures of Glenn's 565cid short deck engines.

They're very identical to my own 565's except for the tunnel rams and larger hydraulic camshafts. I think the tunnel rams are cool, but just not used that much anymore. They make a lot more power than mine too, but I'll leave that to Glenn....he's the proud Daddy!

Dave ran the engines "in" and did one initial pull and is still doing some tuning on the engines.
Attached Thumbnails Wesco does it again!!!!-glennsengines-006.jpg   Wesco does it again!!!!-glennsengines-008.jpg  
Old 10-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WELL IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME KAAMA

Hey Ratman I have no idea about the benefits of dual carbs over a dominator, just wanted some eye candy. Dave and I talked about it and agreed this would do the trick. As far as the tunnel ram I think this one "comes in" at around 3100rpm and provides some additional hp from there on up. How about 700 ponies @ 5400
Old 10-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GLENNS
WELL IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME KAAMA

Hey Ratman I have no idea about the benefits of dual carbs over a dominator, just wanted some eye candy. Dave and I talked about it and agreed this would do the trick. As far as the tunnel ram I think this one "comes in" at around 3100rpm and provides some additional hp from there on up. How about 700 ponies @ 5400
sweet, are those march pulleys for the serpintine belt set up? nice mills
Old 10-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Registered

Thanks for the compliment Rat!! I dont understand what you mean by march pulleys? Its the new serpentine belt system from Hardin.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Registered

Very cool motors Glenns and congratulations Wesco - nice touch of old school with the tunnel rams. Rat - yes, don't see that many tunnels anymore in marine world and I have no idea why. have run them on a few cars and they do take a little more time to tune and those straight shot runners make good torque. Forgot who said it but they said tunnel rams fool the motor into thinking it has better heads even if it has good ones already.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Registered

I think 700hp is quite impressive...especially @only 5400rpm!!! From a pair of 565cid engines with straight out of the box teeny weeny 315cc AFR CNC ported heads with 2.25" intake valves, 9.3 comp ratio, 34* of timing. They made 705 lbs of torque at 4800 or 5000rpm (I can't remember) but the torque curve was very flat!

RMbuilder/Bob Madara engineered the head/cam combination.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Registered

A HUGE THANKS to Bob Madera/RMBuilder for all of his help and knowledge on this project. If it wasn't for Bobs help I can tell you this project would not have happened. A REAL CLASS ACT. THanks Bob
Old 10-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Registered

JimV runs a tunnel ram on his boat engine too!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:51 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Congratulations !!!

You picked some good people to do this build up with/for you.

Tunnel Ram needs a good tuner . This is the difference between a pile of poo and a strong runner. Your results show that you had people that know how to tie it all together.

Can't wait till you hit the water and we get to here those results.

Kamma - you have room for a TR ? LOL.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Kamma - you have room for a TR ? LOL.
You hardly see the tunnel rams anymore. I haven't seen a tunnel ram in a boat since the 1980's---nice little piece of nostalgia so to speak with excellent BLING FACTOR going on there,.....maybe good for about 30hp or so, but there is more in power going on with GLENNS engines than just the tunnel rams, but I thought that was pretty good power @5400rpm with a tunnel ram intake! Anyway, one carb per engine is good enough for me and my hog.

BTW, on WESCO's dyno you can see he uses the alternator, sea water pump, and all belts/pullies----and he doesn't use car dyno headers either that usually inflate HP figures, just real marine type water jacketed headers or manifolds. He doesn't fudge the power numbers with false correction factors, or air temps either. No fancy carb air inlet fixtures with air being pumped right into an open carb---he usually uses the same air cleaner/spark arrestor and sets the timing that will be used when the engines are in the boat---same true power on the dyno as in the boat. Dave has told me that his dyno is an ego killer and usually ends up hurting people's feelings...he jokes around by saying he keeps a crying towel close by for those customers.

Quick Reply: Wesco does it again!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.