Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Accident in Alum Creek Last Night (Sun) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/142903-boat-accident-alum-creek-last-night-sun.html)

bomar76 10-18-2006 09:26 PM

Re: Boat Accident in Alum Creek Last Night (Sun)

This was a terrible accident.
I (and my family, all driving seperate vehicles) went through there shortly before this occured.
If you are not familiar with the area that stop sign is easy to miss untill you are very close.
I was towing the Baja (last of our convoy through) and saw the guy with the Jet boat broke down with the flat drivers side trailer tire on the berm on the NE corner of the intersection..... it would have been a distraction from the stop signs for a newbie to the area. The jet boat was barely off the road as there isn't really any where to pull off except that small area for the phone switching station (or whatever it is) right at the intersection. I thought about stopping to offer help but I had left my cell phone in BajaPower's Rover when I pulled his boat out so I couldn't call my family to let them know what happened to me, and there was no where to pull off with my truck and boat so I reluctantly passed a fellow boater in distress without offering help.
My heart goes out to all involved.
I have no idea of who had the jet boat, but does anyone know if he is ok?

Sad, sad deal for all involved.

Ms PatriYacht 10-18-2006 09:48 PM

I hope after reading about this accident and how bad the intersection is, that some changes might take place to make it safer. I am wondering if the observations of you that know the intersection will help the guy with the cig, I hope so because I think he is going to need all the help he can get :(

CheckmateR1 10-20-2006 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by bomar76
This was a terrible accident.
I (and my family, all driving seperate vehicles) went through there shortly before this occured.
If you are not familiar with the area that stop sign is easy to miss untill you are very close.
I was towing the Baja (last of our convoy through) and saw the guy with the Jet boat broke down with the flat drivers side trailer tire on the berm on the NE corner of the intersection..... it would have been a distraction from the stop signs for a newbie to the area. The jet boat was barely off the road as there isn't really any where to pull off except that small area for the phone switching station (or whatever it is) right at the intersection. I thought about stopping to offer help but I had left my cell phone in BajaPower's Rover when I pulled his boat out so I couldn't call my family to let them know what happened to me, and there was no where to pull off with my truck and boat so I reluctantly passed a fellow boater in distress without offering help.
My heart goes out to all involved.
I have no idea of who had the jet boat, but does anyone know if he is ok?

Sad, sad deal for all involved.

The guy with the jetboat was me.
I had my t&t backed into the drive you mentioned.
My passenger and I were both outside the vehicle when all this mayham occurred, we were shook up, but thats it. Aside from the small dent ($6,000 +) damage to my truck it's fine too. Dropping it off today at the body shop.
The owner of the truck and boat was very upset about the whole thing (obviusly) and was apologetic even too me. If he is reading this...I would like to let him know that in no way could I ever find myself mad about this. No matter how much it were to "put me out" .....Accidents happen and I feel luckythat it wasn't worse like it could have been. Don't get me wrong here, I understand the seriousness of what did happen, but it could have been much worse.
I find myself driving a little differently lately.

CheckmateR1 10-20-2006 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
I hope after reading about this accident and how bad the intersection is, that some changes might take place to make it safer. I am wondering if the observations of you that know the intersection will help the guy with the cig, I hope so because I think he is going to need all the help he can get :(

A guy who lives close by there said that he has been trying to get somebody to put in rumble strips there to warn of stop sign, but they won't do it. He says people screech to a stop pretty often there. For some reason it will take a major situation like this for the county to do anything IF they even do.

bomar76 10-21-2006 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by CheckmateR1
The guy with the jetboat was me.
I had my t&t backed into the drive you mentioned.
My passenger and I were both outside the vehicle when all this mayham occurred, we were shook up, but thats it. Aside from the small dent ($6,000 +) damage to my truck it's fine too. Dropping it off today at the body shop.
The owner of the truck and boat was very upset about the whole thing (obviusly) and was apologetic even too me. If he is reading this...I would like to let him know that in no way could I ever find myself mad about this. No matter how much it were to "put me out" .....Accidents happen and I feel luckythat it wasn't worse like it could have been. Don't get me wrong here, I understand the seriousness of what did happen, but it could have been much worse.
I find myself driving a little differently lately.

I am glad you are OK.....the truck can be fixed.

Orginally I assumed from your screenname you were Jack (RedCheckmate on the semi-defunct Putz's board)...had no idea that you were the one with the flat.

Terrible, terrible situation.

CheckmateR1 10-21-2006 03:57 PM

Yeah, Checkmate made jetboats too ya know. :D

bomar76 10-21-2006 08:56 PM

Baja had that dark period in their past too ;)

donzibill 10-23-2006 04:16 PM

I know the guy that was driving the truck,and have even rode in his boat.My thoughts and prayers go out to all

CheckmateR1 10-31-2006 08:01 PM

I hope he has better luck with his insurance company that I am. :mad:
Insurance Companies are THIEVES and LIARS !!!

There's no way a 10,000 lb boat could cause this much damage to your truck.
A-holes A-holes A-holes

Expensive Date 10-31-2006 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by CheckmateR1
I hope he has better luck with his insurance company that I am. :mad:
Insurance Companies are THIEVES and LIARS !!!

There's no way a 10,000 lb boat could cause this much damage to your truck.
A-holes A-holes A-holes

Call them tomorrow and tell them you want to talk to them on Thurs you can't do it today because you are on the way to the doctor,your neck hurts and you are not sure whether its from the accident or the stress of arguing....works every time