Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ft Lauderdale, FL to Key West, FL (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/142906-ft-lauderdale-fl-key-west-fl.html)

Special K III 10-17-2006 09:30 AM

Re: Ft Lauderdale, FL to Key West, FL

Harbor Towne or possibly just at John U Lloyd State Park boat ramp. You should call them because the park is probably the most secure place. Pier 66 would be a good place to spend the night. You could go to the Diplomat Hotel in Hollywood (on the ocean) but keep your boat at their docks on the intracoastal. The dock area is called "Nicki Beach". If you stay there, then leave south and go out Haulover inlet.

If you run down to Key West during Thanksgiving you may encounter beautiful weather or a stiff breeze. Usually if something is kicked up, it's from the NE at that time of year. Therefore, you may want to be prepared to go down (or up) via the bayside if weather dictates. I cruise at 40 mph and I made it to Holiday Isle in 2.5 hours from Port Everglades, but I know Hawks Channel pretty well. It's not that difficult, but when you pass Key Biscayne you just need to keep your eye out. Most inshore, shallow, patch reefs are pretty well marked.

Joe 10-17-2006 01:50 PM

Whatever you do... if it's your first time.... either talk to a local (who actually knows what they're talking about) and/or run w/ someone who knows what they're doing.

Whatever you do, remember to BE CAREFUL entering and/or exiting Inlets (especially, from North to South, Hillsborough, Port Everglades, Haulover and Govt. Cut). If you haven't read my Haulover Inlet post, it's, if nothing else, entertaining (and 100% accurate --- no embelishment.

Inlets can kick-up fast and hard, and can get VERY dangerous, if you're not familiar with them and/or your boat!

Lake boaters BEWARE!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Fountain38SC 10-17-2006 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Joe

Inlets can kick-up fast and hard, and can get VERY dangerous, if you're not familiar with them and/or your boat!

Lake boaters BEWARE!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Shashed both windshields coming into evergaldes and snapped the alternator mount in half coming out of gov't cut. No I wasn't going too fast, just big water and no this wasn't my first time out. The water approching the inlet can and usually is much different and bigger than the water in the inlet!

Joe 10-17-2006 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fountain38SC
Shashed both windshields coming into evergaldes and snapped the alternator mount in half coming out of gov't cut.

.....and then he bought a Cigarette! :D :D :D Only kidding, (But I bet it's true!!! :eek: )

Joe

GoFastSonic 10-17-2006 05:12 PM

Thanks DJD I just might do that when it gets closer. That is a good idea.

A031 Thanks again, when we are in different locations we will be staying on the boat and I will definatly look into Harboure Towne.

Special K III thanks for the great info. I'm hoping for the beautiful weather. :D

Joe and Fountain 38SC thanks for the inlet information, sound like it can get like our inlets here in NJ, big and snooty. Sorry to hear you damaged your boats.

Doris

GoFastSonic 10-19-2006 05:14 AM

Any other good tips about this run?

Is there anyone else doing this for Thanksgiving?