Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dumbass of the year award (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/142990-dumbass-year-award.html)

sommerfliesby 10-18-2006 06:07 AM

Re: Dumbass of the year award

It's not as if that CG boat was small! Can't believe those jerks didn't see it! I was coming home at night this year and nearly ran over a tri-hull EXACTLY like that one at about 55 mph...the boat was underway with NO LIGHTS at all...if it weren't for fellow OSOer Bob Zubik noticing the white froth from his wake, I'd have run right up and over his stern. People are stupid.

itilldo 10-18-2006 06:41 AM

wow :eek: it seems the CG did not follow their own rules but the other boat did not even see the CG boat. Both get the DumbA** awards

BGIII 10-18-2006 06:51 AM

I don't care who had the right of way in that situation. The guy in the CG boat obviously saw him if he was calling out to him. What a complete, arrogant A-hole. CG captain should be charged with reckless endangerment. He could have easily killed those two guys in the tri-hull.

ratman 10-18-2006 08:34 AM

where's cap when you really need him. lmao...he should have weighed in on this one...musta got scared...wussie :evilb:

sakoutis3 10-18-2006 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by woogie
The CG boat had the right away as it's responding to an emergency situation . It states at the start of the vid that it was responding to a vessel in peril. But the first rule is to avoid a collision . Hailing the small boat was pissin' in the wind as they obviously didn't hear them. Could have been avoided.

Not wholy true. If you as a civilian see an emergency responder coming you are to give way but the burden to aviod accidents falls on the responder. Ask any police or fire they'll tell you they can't just run a red light with out slowing to make sure crossing traffic is aware and stopped. Also a dead emergency responder is saving nobody he is actually endangering more reponders and civilians due to them coming to his accident.

sakoutis3 10-18-2006 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
where's cap when you really need him. lmao...he should have weighed in on this one...musta got scared...wussie :evilb:

He was probably driving the Coast Guard boat. :eek: :eek: :drink: :drink:

Wobble 10-18-2006 12:20 PM

It takes two to have a wreck like that. The small boat was obviously unaware (not paying attention) which was stupid.

The CG crew were aware and did nothing to avoid the collision which is just unbelievable

thisistank 10-18-2006 04:20 PM

I say that's the coastie's fault through and through even without the law saying so. You can see the guy in the boat waving at the large boat in the distance to his starboard. He's facing completely away from the CG boat. As he's being pulled in he says, "what the hell happened? I was waving at the celebration." Looks like the CG ran him right over....TOOL!

woogie 10-18-2006 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by woogie
The CG boat had the right away as it's responding to an emergency situation . It states at the start of the vid that it was responding to a vessel in peril. But the first rule is to avoid a collision . Hailing the small boat was pissin' in the wind as they obviously didn't hear them. Could have been avoided.

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
Not wholy true. If you as a civilian see an emergency responder coming you are to give way but the burden to aviod accidents falls on the responder. Ask any police or fire they'll tell you they can't just run a red light with out slowing to make sure crossing traffic is aware and stopped. Also a dead emergency responder is saving nobody he is actually endangering more reponders and civilians due to them coming to his accident.

sakoutis - think were both saying the same thing .. maybe I was too vague. The CG boat had the right a way as it was an emergency responder, UNTIL it was determined that the burdened boat was not going to give way. The hailing was fruitless and at that point they should have reverted back to rule #1 - always avoid a collision. I agree, if they would have followed their own rules they would have been able to respond to the emergency rather than creating one.

This is how the CG words it......

Coast Guard Right A Way Rules

Rule #1 is to always avoid a collision. If a collision occurs the Nav. rules were not observed. The Coast Guard and Admiralty Court take the position that there are no accidents.

A watch (lookout) is required anytime that a vessel is underway.

The "Stand on Vessel" ( the one who has the right a way) is required to hold course until such time that it is determined the "Give way Vessel" or "Burdened" ( the one yielding the right of way) is not going to Give Way. The Stand on Vessel is then required to avoid a collision. All maneuvers must be made early and clearly to avoid any chance of misinterpretation.

Ing 10-18-2006 08:05 PM

The Puddle Pirates are definately MORE in the wrong.
1)Nothing in the COLREGS (that I could find) absolves a law enforcement vessel from deviating from any rules including rule 1(a) These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels for inland or international waters.
2)The report may have said the USCG was responding to an emergency but you couldn't see if the blue light was on and the siren definately was not on. (Either doesn't matter under COLREGS)
3)It was definately as crossing situation and the standon vessel was the smaller boat. They had the obligation under the COLREGS to maintain course and speed.
4)In every boat collision, like this one, neither boat operatot can be totally absolved of responsibilty. When collision was imminet, the smaller vessel should have deviate course to avoid collision.