If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    My Boats:
    2001 Baja 342

Re: Dumbass of the year award

I have a question. This summer I was on my way to Put-in-Bay in my boat at about 1 in the afternoon. A direct heading from the Marblehead Lighthouse to the Perry Monument. I saw a patrol boat approaching from my Port side on a heading towards Kelley’s Island. No overhead lights on. It was not a CG boat, like the Police or something. I kept my course and speed and passed in front of the patrol boat with plenty of distance to spare. I even waved to them. Well, I look back two minutes later, and he is on my Starboard side with lights on trying to catch me. If I would not have looked, I would not seen him. He stopped me and asked if I knew why I was being stopped. I said no. He then asked me if I had ever taken a boating course. I said why YES. He then told me that I did not yield the right of way to his vessel. I said, “What?” You were approaching on my port side, I have right of way. He said not in a crossing situation. ???? I felt like asking him if he ever had a boating course. I have been boating on Lake Erie in this area since 1987. About twenty years, never had a stop like this. Anyway, he did BS about my safety stuff, showed him everything, and he let me leave. Now, was he right or was I? Listen, if was close, I would have certainly slowed down. You could right, but you could also be dead. I saw him way in advance when I was approaching him, he had no intentions on slowing down, but if any boat should have yielded, it would have been him, right?

Charter Member Charter Member Ted G's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC
    Edgerock Baby!!

Yes, you were right. A vessel must yield right of way to any other vessel from straight ahead around to 115 degrees off the starboard stern. Actually the picture shows 112.5 deg, but I think it's 115 in the Colregs,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association

Platinum Member Platinum Member Scott B's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Donzi Criterion SS, X-18 , 16 OB, Z-235, F-14, Magnum Missile
    Slightly North of Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by dockrocker
    That's exactly what I thought when I saw it - the small boat was the stand-on vessel. Bad Coastie, no donut!
    Regardless of whether or not they had lights a flashin, sirens a blarin, they had an obligation to stand down when it became apparent he other boat did not see/hear them..

Course, the CG Capt was also calling the chrysler tri-hull a "speedboat", so he may not have been the sharpest knife in the drawer to begin with

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234