Ft Lauderdale, FL to Key West, FL >

Ft Lauderdale, FL to Key West, FL

Notices

Ft Lauderdale, FL to Key West, FL

Old 10-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ft Lauderdale, FL to Key West, FL

On Thanksgiving Day we are going to go from Ft Lauderdale to Key West for a couple nights and then stop some place in the Keys on the way back for Saturday night, then head back to Ft Lauderdale Sunday. We did this run last year on the West Coast from Marco to Key West and loved it. We will be traveling in a 31 Sonic!!

I have some questions? Anyone that has done this trip before or has local knowledge your input would be appreciated.

1. The night before we head out, where is a decent place to stay in Ft Lauderdale with a boat and trailer?

2. What is a good (safe) marina or ramp area in Ft Lauderdale we can use to launch our boat and leave our truck and trailer for a few nights?

3. What is a good marina to stay at Sunday night when we get back to Ft Lauderdale?

4. Which route is the best route to take, inside or outside or both?

5. Where is a good place to stop in the Keys on a Saturday night? I was thinking Islamorada area.

6. Is anything a must do or see while we are in our travels?

Thanks in advance for the advise.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Registered

Default Re: Ft Lauderdale, FL to Key West, FL

Lauderdale is going to be tough with boat and trailer. Try American Offshore they might be able to help. Maybe someone else will know more. When I kept my boat in Lauderdale the trailer was sent out of the city for storage. You could always put the boat in a slip at Bahia and go to the bars. This trip is alot of fun. I've done it several times. The keys are tough to beat this time of year.

4. Which route is the best route to take, inside or outside or both? Outside is well marked, inside can be a problem if you aren't familiar. Gps will get you 1/2 way down on the inside without too much worry.

5. Where is a good place to stop in the Keys on a Saturday night? I was thinking Islamorada area. Islamorada is a very good place if you want to make it a 2 day run. Kinda midway, marina and bar, what more could you want?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Left my rig and trailer at harbour towne ramp for 11 days no problems. They have watch guys around like American Offshore, same canal, just closer to the port and much nicer facility.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Registered

Thanks Fountain38SC & A031 for the info!!

Fountain38SC - I charted the outside route and the inside route and the outside of course looked the best, but I was thinking in case of bad weather, if we had to go inside. Is inside a lot of slow speed no wake? Also in Islamorada I was looking at either Holiday Isle Resort & Marina or Smuggler's Cove Resort & Marina (leaning more towards Holiday Isle).

A031 - Where is the harbour towne ramp located?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Registered

You have to go out about 1/2 way down. Inside is shallow, you must know where you are going. Yes the inside is marked but 1 wrong turn will ruin your vacation. GPS and Good maps are required for the inside. If the weather turns on you there are several chances to get back to the inside but don't wait.

I know holiday isle was sold but maybe it's still open. If it is I would stay for at least a day or two (this will be your last change to experience the tiki bar before it's gone). The sand bar off the resort is a really nice place to spend the day.

If you want to discuss this call me 513-233-1068

Kent

Last edited by Fountain38SC; 10-16-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Tonto will chime in , nobody knows that trip better than him.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:14 AM
Registered

Thanks again Fountain38SC!! We do have a good GPS with the chart map for this area and I have a couple good charts so I think we'll be OK that way.

I called Holiday Isle and they said they are still open. So maybe that is where we will stay. Thanks for the number!!

Thanks Joker I hope Tonto does chime in, that is what I am looking for knowledge from people that have done this run.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:35 AM
DJD
Registered

Give Stu Jones a call at the Florida Powerboat Club. He usually knows who is doing what & it would be good if you could hook up with someone to follow. The inside route is really cool if you have never done it. I've run with the FL powerboat club several times and have done it alone twice. It's not hard. Just pay close attention
Old 10-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Registered

What DJD said. If you do stay at Holiday Isle I would opt for a premium room/suite as the cheaper rooms have seen better days.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Registered

Harbour Towne is the first marina in on the south side of Dania Cutoff canal. Three or four ramps and plenty of parking.

Quick Reply: Ft Lauderdale, FL to Key West, FL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.