Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What is the best thing that you have done with [in] your boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/143275-what-best-thing-you-have-done-%5B%5D-your-boat.html)

raceboat rus 10-20-2006 09:23 PM

What is the best thing that you have done with [in] your boat

Several years ago I saw my high school sweetheart and her and I became good friends . I also became good friends with her son, the boy was suffering from several real serious health problems and by the time this young guy was in his early 20s he had lost his site and had suffered a stroke that took a great toll on his already frail body. I took this young guy out in the boat. The Sheriff was right there 100 yards from the dock , so I pulled up to him and voluntarily let him inspect the boat , He saw that the young guy was blind. We toured around the lake for a while, then I thought “what the hell” this guy needs some heart pounding excitement so I put him behind the helm, I would stand behind him and yell in his ear and pat him on his shoulders to help guide him as which way to steer . The young guys hands were shaking with excitement but he got the hang of it quickly .Again I thought “what the hell” I pushed my boat and before I knew it we were pushing the BAD DADDY to the 3digit mark , The deputy`s boat was just ahead so we veared to the right of the Sheriff`s boat and passed him at about 85 . The look on the mans face was somewhere between amazement and shock, as we flew by fully aired out I waved by-by to the Deputy with the boys white cane . We flew around the lakes a few more times and when we got back to the dock the Deputy was waiting still shaking his head. The young guy was exhausted from the excitement, I called the deputy over to my boat and the deputy and I carried this young man back to my truck. The deputy later told me he looked in the book and could find nothing in the book about a blind person operating a boat. The Officer looked at me after we put the boy in the truck and smiled and said “that great” “yea real cool”… I answered that is the coolest thing I ever done in my boat

bouyhunter 10-20-2006 09:40 PM

Re: What is the best thing that you have done with [in] your boat

That's a great story. I'm sure not a day you will ever forget.
It's day's like this that make people understand why there are some of us so passionate about this sport.
May I pat you on the back? Nice Job.

kjm5125 10-20-2006 09:59 PM

Amazing story, its sounds like you made his day! You should feel proud, Congratuations! :drink:

tomtbone1993 10-20-2006 10:26 PM

Hard to top that one....Cool Story :cool:

Every year the boat club I am in take out about 60 foster kids. Its the best event we do each year. Tom

1HYPER1 10-20-2006 11:37 PM

That is some good stuff, I am glad to here things like that.You deserve a ADDA BOY for that. :cool:

raceboat rus 10-21-2006 09:44 AM

I would love to hear from you .... this young guy toid the guys who go to S.I.T.E. school they could not beleive it ... I got a few calls to verify the story.... you all can do something great by coming to the Toys for Tots tour in FLA

brian41 10-21-2006 11:44 AM

conceived both my daughters in my boat that was a lot of fun

BobbyB 10-21-2006 01:33 PM

Thats a great story.

Magic Medicine 10-21-2006 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by brian41
conceived both my daughters in my boat that was a lot of fun

Same here, my son was made on my boat.

That is a very touching story, I am sure that boy will never forget it.

lucky strike 10-21-2006 04:26 PM

All the aches & pains of life go away when you running wide open.

I'm sure he will never forget that day...... Good job !