Notices

Sonic Quality

Old 10-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Sonic Quality

The porpoise on some Sonic models has to do with the notched transom. Its an effort to get somewhat of a standoff box effect of getting the props in cleaner water.

The Sonic bounce explained:
The boat gets up on plane, and starts to transfer weight to the back of the hull. When the boat searches for the last bit of hull, its not there, and the bow drops. This then repeats and becomes a porpoise. This can be fixed by knowing where and how far to trim the drives and tabs. Some of the boats had the notch taken out (or filled back in to correctly explain) to help this issue.

Sonics take a beating in forums and get bad reputation for this, but it just takes a bit of seat time to get comfortable. My 26' would do it on occaision. A lot of 358s have issues with this. It all depends on the load you are carrying, the water conditions, the fuel, etc. With a little seat time, it works out. The boats REALLY do handle rough water well. I was in some pretty nasty water with my 26' Sonic.

bblythe,
Since your are new to the forum, you have not heard some of us 'cheerleaders'. I will spare the other folks and not even say the _____ _______ 2 words, but take a look at this thread, and let me know if I can answer any questions. Jay Ross, who started SonicUSA is now one of the HMFICs of building these boats:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...oker+run+recap

Brian Tillett
btcomm500(a)aol.com
http://members.cox.net/activethunder37/photo.htm

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-23-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there for that poker run in a 30 ft profile got the snot knocked out of us
Old 10-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bblythe
I was there for that poker run in a 30 ft profile got the snot knocked out of us

I hope met while was up there. I was in Monsoon. Drove in from VA just long enough to do the PR, and drove back.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a customer that has a 01 358 with 500efi's the boat had like a 100 hours on it and the dash was all stress cracked and it porposes alot. if your looking for a tall deck boat take a look at a 40 hustler they ride awsome and have all the ammentaties
Old 10-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it's kind of funny how all the active thunder guy's want to compare there stepp and pad bottom boat with a sonic ..of course the active will be faster .but for all around safty i would would rather have a straight 24 or 25 degree deedrise boat and loose the 7 or 8 mph ..
my 2cents ..i think there both great boats. but diffrent peaple have diffrent needs...
you have to feel comfortable in what boat you drive and not worry about the guy next door..diffrent strokes for diffrent fokes..

peace out
Old 10-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My 386 will start to porpoise a little on flat water around 43-46 mph. When it does, I just drop the drives in more or use some tab if I want to maintain that speed. Usually I just speed up to 50+ and it goes away.

The boat is heavy and with the conventional hull slower than many in flat water but makes up for it in the rough. I have always felt very safe in this boat even in bad conditions.

They do require a good bit of power to get them to perform well. At 550 hp each I felt that my 575EFi's weren't quite enough to get the hull to lighten up. At 650 hp they do a much better job.

They aren't the best, they aren't the worst, but they are good, solid, safe and roomy boats.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Registered

I have had my Sonic for years and love the boat and the way it runs but its time to let it go so if your looking for one heres one for you. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DME:B:EF:US:11

Last edited by EVILWAYS; 10-23-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Registered

hOW FAST is the Sonic? And does it Flounder down the Bay?

How does it fare when you are pulling Bass up on the cockpit rug? Oh yeh and don't forget the blood from the Blue Fish.. But that all came out with bleech right!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sydwayz....I'll say it for ya...ACTIVE THINDER. bblythe, do your self a favor and take a real hard look at Active Thunder.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Sydwayz....I'll say it for ya...ACTIVE THUNDER. bblythe, do your self a favor and take a real hard look at Active Thunder.