Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tunnel Ram Engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/143481-tunnel-ram-engines.html)

Strip Poker 388 10-27-2006 03:59 PM

Re: Tunnel Ram Engines

Originally Posted by wannabe
The shop is a well known automotive engine development shop (Detroit Area), has done engine development for Ford, GM, DCX, and Asian OEM's. Owner and I are longtime friends. He wants to branch out, has a 510 Ci BBC that puts out 600+ BHP so all the EFI and engine mapping is done. Has a proprietary intake manifold with port injection and I would say this thing is bullet-proof. He has done considerable work on turbos and other forced induction. Leading edge stuff for the automotive industry. We are going to SEMA and will look at whats out there. Will probably decide then if we will build a pair of engines for marine trials. If so we may want to exhibit with a boat Manufacturer having installed them. Or I will buy a resin bucket and put them in. :rolleyes:

Wannabe

Isnt SEMA mainly a car show type show. You might look at PRI

wannabe 10-27-2006 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Isnt SEMA mainly a car show type show. You might look at PRI

There has been a lot of Marine hardware there over the past several years according to my friend.

I assume PRI is another show?

roarkace 10-27-2006 05:46 PM

Here's my 600 in.,all aluminum,big chief heads,Sonny's fabricated intake,EFI Tecknologies injection,1040 HP @7000,in a 32 Skater.

Hot Boat 10-27-2006 06:39 PM

I am looking to build a new motor this winter. I love this post and would like some more info. What kind of tork curve do these engines pull compared to a blower motor. What rpm range are they good for, Im assuming 4200 and up. How are they at 3700 rpm cruse ???? Could you get 700 + hp with a 502 ci ???

nocigarette 10-28-2006 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by jdnca1
Here's Wette Vette's 598....picked up 4 mph by going from Single plane 1250 Dominator to Tunnel ram and 2X1050 Dominators over the winter in single engine cat.... :drink: How's that for a real world comparison... :D oh yeah, and the boat accelerates harder just about everywhere (except maybe planing off) :D :D

have you had good luck venting your valve covers into your flame arrestor, how much hoarsepower and more info on the motor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sweet and clean

nocigarette 10-28-2006 08:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)

The shop is a well known automotive engine development shop (Detroit Area), has done engine development for Ford, GM, DCX, and Asian OEM's. Owner and I are longtime friends. He wants to branch out, has a 510 Ci BBC that puts out 600+ BHP so all the EFI and engine mapping is done. Has a proprietary intake manifold with port injection and I would say this thing is bullet-proof. He has done considerable work on turbos and other forced induction. Leading edge stuff for the automotive industry. We are going to SEMA and will look at whats out there. Will probably decide then if we will build a pair of engines for marine trials. If so we may want to exhibit with a boat Manufacturer having installed them. Or I will buy a resin bucket and put them in. :rolleyes:

Wannabe

i will be your test dumbie and i will even bring the boat..........i am real good at blowing up big blocks, did 3 last summer alone..........

KAAMA 10-28-2006 09:23 AM

I like the EFI systems with my "drive every day" autos, but when it comes to a marine engine I like the idea of a carburetor too! EFI is nice,---but CARBS are so much cheaper, a lot more reliable and very simple compared to EFI. The carbs they have available these days are pretty darn good.

mrhorsepower1 10-28-2006 10:05 AM

Wannabe

The shop a big secret too?? I am sure we have heard of them if they have been around awhile. We have been here since the 50's. What's the shop's name?

wannabe 10-28-2006 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
The shop a big secret too?? I am sure we have heard of them if they have been around awhile. We have been here since the 50's. What's the shop's name?

At the moment the shop owner and I will keep things close to the vest. If we decide to roll out a program for marine engines we'll let you know. The shop has a 30 yr history, not fly by night.

KAAMA: Automotive environment is actually tougher, more hours, vibration, temp fluctuations (-35 F to 175 F under hood ). Marine of course has higher sustained rpms and shock ( +/- G's) when you catch air. Sensors are produced in the millions today and are actually cheap.

NoCigarette- Thanks for the offer

Wannabe

2112 10-28-2006 12:43 PM

Back to the subject of tunnel rams;

Several years ago, I was running a 540 inch Ford (700 horse) in a 24 foot Warlock. I switched from a 1150 Dominator to a Weiand tunnel ram and two 650 small bowl-in line holley's. I did this with no scientific reasoning whatsoever but the result was nothing short of spectacular. With the two small carbs, My midrange became unbelievably responsive. Top end was unaffected but I attributed that the the shortcomings of the engine build itself.

This is all anecdotal though. I always wanted to find a formula that would give you good rules of thumb on how to set up a tunnel ram (meaning Carb size) in relation to the parameters of your specific engines capabilities.

Lots of experts here, Any Advice? McColliston, you out there?