Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/143490-would-you-put-arneson-surface-drives-new-boat.html)

9 Lives 10-24-2006 01:57 AM

Re: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Can a single engine rudder boat (like a radio controlled boat, or small single engine cruiser) with a fixed surface or V-drive and steerable rudder, be backed around a corner very well? I would think that a twin-engine V-bottom in a staggered configuration with fixed (non-steerable, but trimable) shaft drives and a steerable rudder would be damn near impossible to back into a tight spot, although it should be very fast in a straight line considering it only has one rudder in the water.

I hear this conversation in the boat. "We're gonna pull into _______ to get a bite to eat, hand me the oars and hang lots of fenders." :eek: :eek:

I do realize that an Arneson is steerable and not fixed. I was just curious as if anyone had tried this and the results.

SS930 10-24-2006 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
Is this pole for real?

Arnesons

:drink:

dkwestern 10-24-2006 07:01 AM

Arnesons

super termoli 10-24-2006 07:47 AM

Tantrum is right though. Bravo vs. Arneson is not even a conversation, the real question is #6 vs. Arneson.

And there are no real reasons to choose a #6. ASD is better in every respect apart from one: resale.

And it will stay that way as long as people listen to lies about docking, incompatibility with certain hull designs, etc.

HiPerf2000 10-24-2006 07:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
388 w/ arnesons

KNOT-RIGHT 10-24-2006 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Tantrum
Arneson over Bravo
Six over Arneson

I already got metal stuck to one of my drain magnets
on these SS6,s.

Ask me which is better Arnesons or Sixes. :eek:

How many right angle gears do you need in a drive?

X-Rated30 10-24-2006 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
How many right angle gears do you need in a drive?

None. :cool:

TopSpin80 10-24-2006 09:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I was looking at 32 Skaters. I noticed quite a few skaters with bravo drives have a transom notch... the ones with merc-#3,4,5,6.... have no notch and the one I have seen with ASD doesn't have a notch..... can the ASD-bravo replacement be used with the bravo boats or does the notch need filled?

Ernie

rainmn 10-24-2006 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 9 Lives
Can a single engine rudder boat (like a radio controlled boat ) be backed around a corner?

If my neighbor is any proof, then no, not easily. It's not a performace boat, but it is a single inboard diesel. Even with a bow thruster, watching him dock is always entertaining. :eek: And he lives on the corner of two lagoons with plenty of space to dock. I couldn't imagine him docking in tight quarters.

Comanche3Six 10-24-2006 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tantrum
Arneson over Bravo
Six over Arneson

ditto