Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat? >

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Notices
View Poll Results: Arneson Surface Drives
Yes put them on the new boat
85.50%
No use bravos
14.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Old 10-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
The Mercruiser drive without standoff boxes keeps the prop closer to the transom of the boat. The arneson drive appears to have the props out further from the transom. Shield or not, I would not dive off the transom when going for a swim. And one would have to negotiate the Arnesons when climbing back onto the swim platform. Perhaps this alarms some cautious people. They are a great drive, fast durable racy looking.
Actually, we are the same length as a SSM#6.

Same exact propeller as a SSM#6

Same exact propeller shaft height in the water as a SSM#6

Rear entry would be the same if not somewhat better as our tie bar is lower on the V bottoms.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Actually, we are the same length as a SSM#6.

Same exact propeller as a SSM#6

Same exact propeller shaft height in the water as a SSM#6

Rear entry would be the same if not somewhat better as our tie bar is lower on the V bottoms.
Interesting, they look further out.
Thanks
Ed

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 08-29-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Arneson has a stainless prop shaft. How often do u need to change the prop shaft on a six?

Number 6 microfiche:This part no longer available, ouch.

2 local newer Skaters broke number 6 gears this summer.

Number 6 is a very good drive as well.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Re-Sale ... Good enough for me ... #6s
D
I guess that depends on if you are buying the boat for you, or for the next guy.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arnesons are the shisnit. No problems with mine. 1982's and still going strong.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Arneson's with rudder on ANY cat is the way I'd go.....
Old 10-25-2006, 03:12 AM
Registered

Comanche3Six,

I do believe that photo is an unfair comparison. If I'm not mistaken, that photo shows a new ASD6 with trannies in those standoff boxes. Which means that engines are mounted roughly where they would be if a Bravo was used.

Thus, it is unfair to compare that configuration to just #6 drives. I believe it should be compared to #6s on equivalent standoff boxes and in this case, I don't think the difference is that significant.

I think Tommy Bahama used Trimax surface drives. It is a fixed, non-articulated shaft with a rudder. Nonetheless, the surface drive idea behind it is the same and it proved many times to be a faster drive than #6. Infact, Mercury acted quite quickly to make it illegal for new entrants to use this drive system. It was probably cheaper to tackle the problem that way than do some real R&D.

My impression is that people who are still afraid of ASDs have never used one. I think that for 99% of people, once you experience it, you never look back. Nothing is ever perfect but ASD is way closer to perfection than the #6, let alone Bravo...
Old 10-25-2006, 04:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by super termoli
Comanche3Six,

I do believe that photo is an unfair comparison. If I'm not mistaken, that photo shows a new ASD6 with trannies in those standoff boxes. Which means that engines are mounted roughly where they would be if a Bravo was used.

Thus, it is unfair to compare that configuration to just #6 drives. I believe it should be compared to #6s on equivalent standoff boxes and in this case, I don't think the difference is that significant.

I think Tommy Bahama used Trimax surface drives. It is a fixed, non-articulated shaft with a rudder. Nonetheless, the surface drive idea behind it is the same and it proved many times to be a faster drive than #6. Infact, Mercury acted quite quickly to make it illegal for new entrants to use this drive system. It was probably cheaper to tackle the problem that way than do some real R&D.

My impression is that people who are still afraid of ASDs have never used one. I think that for 99% of people, once you experience it, you never look back. Nothing is ever perfect but ASD is way closer to perfection than the #6, let alone Bravo...
Super
If Rik says they are the same location then i believe him. I would love Arnesons on a cat. My first choice would be #6 mercruiser, I love the look and the resale value. But, that's me.
Ed
Old 10-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Registered

I have to admit that #6s do look pretty cool. As for resale, can't argue with that...
Old 10-25-2006, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I have mearsured 2 Nortechs one 4300 with boxes and 5's which was mine, a #6 4300, and a asd-6 on a 388 and they were all with in 4" of each other. Even my new diesel boat with straight ASD-8's is only 2 1/2" longer than the #6 boat.
48-52" from transom. Depends on the overhang of the certain boat, pics can be deciving, tape mearsure's don't lie. Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?-hustler-mean-streak-dsc00213-large-web-view.jpg   Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?-43-nortech-003-large-web-view.jpg  

Quick Reply: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.