Sales tax on a Documented boat >

Sales tax on a Documented boat

Notices

Sales tax on a Documented boat

Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Sales tax on a Documented boat

I purchased my boat out of state, so I contacted the Ohio Department of Taxation. They told me to claim it on my taxes or send in a check for the tax with an explanation. In reviewing Ohio law they consider it a "voluntary tax", just like sales tax on internet sales. However, because of the dollar amount involved they will track you down. If you trailer your boat, they probably already know.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sales tax on a Documented boat

Seems they're doing that all over. Same here in Va. Beach. Just got a letter from the city asking about purchase date etc. for property taxes. Of course right now there's a moratorium (sp) on boat property taxes so it should only cost me pennies....Hopefully....
Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a friend of Waterfouls here.........

I just purchased a boat in NV, it is documented
can I transfer the documentation with a (my) new adress in NV.
is it true there is no tax in NV on the boat sale?

then , at a later date, I decide to move my vacation boat to michigan, and register it there?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

If you never paid the tax - there is no statute of limitations..... generally. I would suspect the state laws mirror that of the federal income tax laws whereby if you fail to file a return and you owe tax the statute of limitation remains open indefinitely. If its been registered there should be a paper trail showing the tax paid.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I bought my first boat in Ohio, I had to pay tax on the boat, but not the trailer. The previous owner agreed to write up the receipt with me for an expensive trailer, with a cheap boat sitting on it
I wasn't outrageous about it, but the trailer certainly wasn't a brand new Myco - just priced that way
That was several moons ago, don't know what it's like today.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
In Ohio, the only way to pay the tax is either via titling the vehicle or adding it to your state income tax return- both leave a trail. If you owed the tax but avoided it, you technically committed a crime. Lying about it might be even worse. Remember martha Stewart? She didn't break any laws but lied to investigators- went to Federal prison.
They way they get you in Ohio is with the state registration which is still required for a documented vessel. I got by for a year and a half before they found me. I was given the option to avoid a significant fine with the immediate payment of "overdue" tax plus interest.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Wildman, Are you asking about sales tax or personal property tax? In KY no sales tax on used purchases. If it was a new boat, then the tax was due. Yearly personal property tax is reportable on Tangible State Tax return. You are supposed to pay tax on the boat if it was in Kentucky on January 1. If it was not in KY on January 1 then no tax due. I would have receipts for boat storage, etc... to prove this. To my knowledge they are going back 5 years. I got opinions from several accountants on this matter. I'm paying the tax.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

fyi....

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/ME2/di...99B2FD3C568FF9