Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What's more exciting to watch? NASCAR or Offshore? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/143528-whats-more-exciting-watch-nascar-offshore.html)

T2x 10-24-2006 10:57 AM

Re: What's more exciting to watch? NASCAR or Offshore?

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Look at the size difference between Waltrip and Gordon! WOW either Gordon in tiny or Waltrip is huge!

You are correct on both points.... Waltrip is at least 6'5"

Gordon can sleep in a suit pocket on a rack at Barney's.

T2x

FeverMike 10-24-2006 11:00 AM

I will get flamed for this but Offshore racing has been very boring due to the lack of coverage, lack of boat counts which leads to the lack to close deck to deck racing.
Offshore racing is always more fun for the participant than the observer. The only time I saw offshore racing starting to get exciting was the St. Pete 2000 race when 20 something F2 boat went into turn 1.

The years of 1999-2003 were some of the most excited offshore racing ever. Close racing, boats fans could relate to and lots of TV coverage. Those days and the people behind all that are long gone now.

People want to see close racing, not a boat parade with a boat running in a class all by itself or boats spread out that come by every 20-30 seconds...that is NOT racing.

sakoutis3 10-24-2006 11:34 AM

There is nothing more boring than watching a bunch of red necks driving around in circles. :cool: There isn't one nascar driver that wouldn't get lost if you asked him to make a right turn. :eek:

BODYSHOT1 10-24-2006 11:46 AM

..it's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it... :rolleyes: :D

Nice shots man!!

Racegirl3 10-24-2006 11:55 AM

People want to see close racing, not a boat parade with a boat running in a class all by itself or boats spread out that come by every 20-30 seconds...that is NOT racing.

Comin to Destin? :D

Racegirl3 10-24-2006 11:56 AM

WOW either Gordon in tiny or Waltrip is huge!

Both :drink:

SuperTramp 10-24-2006 11:59 AM

Offshore, much more fun.

rainmn 10-24-2006 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
There is nothing more boring than watching a bunch of red necks driving around in circles. :cool: There isn't one nascar driver that wouldn't get lost if you asked him to make a right turn. :eek:

My thoughts might not have been as colorful, but I basically agree. I can't stand watching NASCAR, at least on TV. I did get to one race in person, and it was fun, I'll admit, but it didn't turn me into a fan.
That said, as much as I like offshore racing, I can't honestly say it's exciting for the casual observer. For fans like most of us - sure. For the rest of the people...not so much.
Think about your average race:
There's about a 98% chance it won't start on time.
You, as the casual oberserver, will have no clue why. You will just stand where you are, or maybe sit if you're lucky, and wait.
You will watch a bunch of boats go by, likely from a pretty good distance, and have no clue which ones are actually in the same class and are racing each other.
More than half of the boats likely won't finish.
Some won't even make it from the wet pits out to the course.
The announcer's PA system will suck.
When it's all said and done, you will have no idea who "won." It might appear as if every boat that finished is holding a checkered flag.
You will look in the paper for some explanation of the results, but it won't be there....forget about TV.

Before I get flamed for that, sure, there are races where not all of those things are true, and some will be better than others. But - do any of those things (aside maybe for 1/2 the field not finishing) happen regularly at a NASCAR race?

Interceptor 10-24-2006 02:11 PM

Offshore races remind me more of roadraces where every class runs together and after the first lap it is a mess regarding who is leading who in which class. Typically we spend more time in the pits then watching the races. NASCAR can be exciting. Give me the old CART series at MIS.

For real excitement have any of you ever seen AMA mile or half-mile flat track motorcycle races ? The best !!!

ed

Katapult 10-24-2006 02:34 PM

Ron you must have some juice to get those passes, Dover is a good place to see a race. Nothing like seeing 43 hot rods coming to the green flag.